MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
fast_pony
Registered Member

Default FI or Carb...?

I am in the middle of deciding which direction to go here with my Mustang engine...its a 92 LX (used to be a 4 banger). I am not sure which way to go here. I am thinking either 408 stroker, or something with the 302 I have. I thought if I go the 408 route, I'd probably go 750 carb..if I go the 302 route, fuel injection would probably be the way I go...the 307 would be stroked to a 347. Any advice would be appreciated...It will also be a street driven car not totally drag, but not a daily driver either for obvious gas cost reasons. Thanks, Rich
fast_pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
peace
Registered Member

Default Re: FI or Carb...?

well, theres alot to consider with the question you asked.
I have had both, F.I and carb. I prefer carb, simply because of the trouble free action. where the fuel injection will certainly give you better milage, i honestly belive carberation will give you the performance you are looking for, and not cost you both arms and 1 leg.
but hey, i am an old school racer that runs a lil 347. in a vert. go figure.
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Dude, you have SO MANY questions to answer before you get the answers to the ones you just asked. (Made sense to me and 6 beers! LOL)

There is absolutely NO WAY I would build either of those engines (302 based 347, and 408 based 351w) for "street use". The longevity is just not there with that kind of rod ratio. Sure, they absolutely SCREAM, but not for long. Trust me. I have a 600 HP 347 (stock block) that has seen better days, and day before yesterday I got word from the machine shop that our 500 HP 333 (sportsman block) is now literally two 166.5 cid 4 cylinders.

STREET use, daily driver, I'd stick with the 393 (351) at BEST, prolly smaller, and a 302 based, I'd go 327 tops. You'll still get the stroker "bang for the buck", and the sucker might last you a few years to boot.

DO NOT stroke that thing to the max, if you're planning on driving it every day. Sure, we beat the hell outta these two engines, and they performed BEYOND our expectations, but a year later we're looking at scap prices. With me?

As to your original question, anyone on this board can tell you what my vote is gonna be. 302, 347, 393, 408, or 427...... I'm gonna vote CARB!!! That's sort of a bias vote, because I'm really good with a Holley, and I really don't know much about Injection. And that is the ONLY thing I'm basing my vote on.

Good luck with it, and make DAM sure you let us all know what you decide to do!!!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
fast_pony
Registered Member

Thanks Jester....I am not gonna be driving it everyday. I will only be taking it out on Friday nights and the occasional show. Oh, and maybe when the odd RICER decides he hasn't been beaten enough. I am 47 years old and have a lot better things to do with my time and money than paying tickets and going to court. I am also very weak when it comes to a challenge...I usually accept them all, lol.
fast_pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
vristang
Registered Member

This topic comes up often and the guys that run carbs usually have never put an honest effort into learning efi. One is not harder to learn than the other, they are just different.

If you want an all around performer, go efi. The computer can optimize power, fuel economy, emissions, driveability without you even thinking about it.
With a carb the general rule is you can have any 2 of the above with a given tune.

I vote efi and 408w.
I love my combo on my daily driven GT.

1990 GT - 408w - 17mpg
TwEECer RT 1.30A10 - X3Z - A9L strat. / EA
Forged Bottom End / Gapless Rings / CR 8.85:1 / Custom Cam / Ported Trick Flow Heads / Box Upr / Lightning Lwr
17x9 Cobras / Front 255s / Rear 275s / 5 Lug Cobra Disc Conversion / Auburn Ltd. Slip / 3.27 / 31 spline axles / Panhard Rod / Upr&Lwr Control Arms

1987 Red LX - 2.3L - Planning 2.3t Converison
vristang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Almost all the advantages are with the EFI when both are tuned correctly. Notice I said "almost". The EFI will cost you a lot more than the carb. Since I'm an old school carb guy, I do use the carb. But then I'm OK with 12 mpg and $3.00/gal. premium gas. I'm also a little like Jester, I know carbs better than I know EFI.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

The kewl thing about carbs, I don't have to make an appointment with a guy with a computer and a dyno (NOTHING personal Jeff!!) take a $100 bill with me.

I KNOW carbs, so that's what I stick with. I might not be the BEST at it, but I can "tune" that summa beeeeotch at the track!

Like I said before, this is what I know, so I'm stickin with it. After I get to know EFI a bit better, who knows? But for now, 4 small barrels instead of 1 big one, are good enough for me!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

on a daily driver my vote is an efi 331 stroker