MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2001, 09:02 PM   #1
quick89gt
Registered Member

Lightbulb Final decision: A-Trim vs. S-Trim.

Well, b/c funds won't allow for the purchase of an S-trim anytime soon, I am going to go with the A-trim and pulley it for 8lbs of boost. I was looking at the parts sheet list, and it appears that the major difference is the fact that the S-trim comes w/ a t-rex pump and the a-trim doesn't. I will still purchase one, regardless. The A-trim also doesn't come with the "stand alone" assembly, which I have no clue what the hell that is. I am wondering which injectors to get? 30lbs or 36lbs???? I have a 255lph in tank pump, and will be running a t-rex inline pump. Will the 30's provide enough fuel to the 8lbs I'll be running with the A-trim? I wish I had the money for the S-trim, but since I don't and won't for another 6-8 months, I'm gonna get the A-trim. There won't be any shame in running it, hopefully the H.P. difference between the two @ 8lbs won't be a whole lot.
Anyone have any input. sorry so long...Josh

------------------
'89 GT, T-5,
Bored .030 Over, GT-40P heads, MAC 1 5/8" headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, 2 1/2" Flowmasters, Edelbrock 65mm T.B., Trick Flow Intakes, Crane 2031 cam, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Keith Black hyp. flat top Pistons, Screamin' Deamon Coil, Champion Plugs, March Underdrive Pulleys, 255lph Fuel Pump, SVO Motorsport Clutch, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Formula GP Suspension, MAC Upper & Lower Control Arms, FMS 3.73 Gears.
quick89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 12:49 AM   #2
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
i think the stand alone assembily might be the brackets (dont "me"). the 30lbers should do the job, but if you are going to add heads & more mods the 36ers would probably be a smrter choice
remember to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe (Sounds Mean), K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box, Removed air silendcer), 198.9 rwhp @4200 (235 Motor!!), 285 lbs-ft @2900 (336 Motor!!!).
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 12:51 AM   #3
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
sorry, didnt see the gt-40p's, go 30lb. probably big eanough
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 01:04 AM   #4
rbatson

The s-trim comes with the better discharge tube, by-pass, and msd btm. It also has better bearings. I'd hold out for the s-trim.

If you add all the upgrades to the a-trim it will cost you more than the s-trim package and the s-trim bearings are better.

I have an a-trim and know first hand. As a matter of fact.. I really don't have the money to buy an s-trim right now but I just might be willing to give you a deal on this a-trim and bump up the ccard a bit.

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 02-18-2001, 01:06 AM   #5
Brcuda
Registered Member

Wink

Hold out for the S-trim

------------------
Kenne Bell supercharged stang 93LX (the perfect sleeper) Named Wheezer 11.901@117.40 on BFGs/w 1.71 60's
Brcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 06:02 PM   #6
Nutty 5.0
Registered Member

Talking

The stand alone assembly is the Vortech(MSD) Boost retard box. I was debating over the A a couple of months ago, until I realized what the others said above. Save the $$$ and go for the S. The power it makes scares me crapless. Unless you can get that A trim used for a good price from rbatson, hold out for the real powerhouse!

------------------
-Nutty 5.0
93 GT Red/Grey
S trim, Edelbrock 6037 heads, E cam, BBK longtubes w/cats, 3 chamber Flowmasters, BBK Alum. underdrive pullies, Cobra intake, Accel fuel regulator, BBK 70mm t.b., 73mm C&L meter, ram air, 1.7 roller rockers, Mac upper and lower strut tower braces, FMS lowering springs, Factory Five upper and lower control arms, Speedware Cobra R 17X9 wheels, 3.73 gears and ram air hood, Cobra wing, and grille insert.
Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 08:16 PM   #7
Red514LX
Registered Member

The A-Trim still gets the job done but it's reall, really old technology (by today's supercharging standards) and it leaves you no room to up the power later.

If I were you, at the VERY LEAST, I'd hold out for the S-Trim. These days, with all the really fast 400+ hp street cars out there, I actually tell people to go with a T-Trim.

I really like the T-Trim because it doesn't give up much (if any) power down low to the S-Trim and, if you have the right motor, it simply kicks from 5000rpm on... Plus you can run it to 7000rpm. Plus you can run 25psi. on down the line if you feel froggy. Plus it's more durable than an S-Trim (non-race version). Plus....(you get the idea).

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block.
http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote