MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
Tod
Registered Member

Default finishing exhaust, questions

I'm on a hunt for some headers and h-pipe. i've already got 2 chamber Flows and i'd like open up some more air space down there and for a little bit better, full sound and a little bit more performance (it's not much, i know, but it's better than nothin').

what brand headers, Eddlebrock? Hedman? BBK? and unequal or equal length? i'm looking for better low-end pop, so if you guys/gals could give me some help it'd be much appreciated. i'm also looking for the highest quality stuff, something that will last awhile and is reliable.

the second thing to complete me exhaust work is and h-pipe. again what brand do you recommend? something with a high-flow converter is what i'm looking for. thanks for any help.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Default Exhaust

I have been leaning toward the BBK Full length headers ($369) with the shorty h-pipe with hi-flow cats($339). The headers are jet-hot ceramic coated and polished. It depends on how much you want to spend. A friend of mine had the MAC full length and no cats with 2-chamber Flows and it sounded awesome. The MAC's are cheaper as there are not jet-hot coated. Or you can go all out and get KOOKS but they are really expensive. Good luck.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Tod
Registered Member

the BBK headers are quite expensive, but if that's what i have to do to get good quality and performance/sound then that's the route i have to take, but i'll look around once and see what happens.

regarding the cats, i had forgotten that it was possible to purchase an h-pipe with the converters gone completely which is cool. i had forgotten about the MAC parts and i'll look into those as well. i'd like something a little cheaper than the BBK headers but who knows what i'll end up with. in driving the car with the windows down and the radio off tonight, i could hear that there were some rattles coming from the cats and the old pipes down there because they're starting to rust a bit. so i'll need to get them purchased as soon as possible.

and thanks for the recommendation Dog5oh.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:45 AM   #4
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I'm currently running a set of MAC unequ headers. They are good except for their coating sucks really bad!!! I would get those, and have them coated or painted somewhere. I have a set of BBK long tubes with the jet hot cermic coating on them. I'm just trying to find time to install them.

The equ length headers are better for performance, but they are a pain in the butt to install and work around. Even if you get the unequ, you'll still get the performance your looking for, and it will be easier to work on your motor in the future. Just make sure you get the 1 5/8" size.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 03:42 PM   #5
Tod
Registered Member

i was thinking MAC deffinately for the h-pipe, and was trying to decide on a deffinate make of headers. probably go with MAC for those as well.

does using the same make for both the headers and the h-pipe make a better fit and run smoother through the exhaust, or doesn't that really matter?