MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
mudchucker
Registered Member

Default fire in the hole?

Hey guys, i am stumped. i just put the newly rebuilt 5.0 into my car and it has no spark. there is power to the coil (as far as i can tell with the voltage regulator). i changed the module on the side of the distributor and nothing. i do not have the oxy sensors hooked up, but that wouldn't stop it from getting spark. anything you guys can point me to would sure be appreciated.

thanks,

Aaron
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
stanger66
dreaming about mustangs

Default Re: fire in the hole?

First I would check to see if you power at the spark plug wires near plugs and check the distributor cap and rotor and assembly. Hell check too see if the plugs are good still. If you have the MSD I would check that too.

ross
stanger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Capri306

Default Re: fire in the hole?

You've verified that you're getting +12V on one side of the coil primary. It's the ignition module's job to open and close the connection to ground on the other side of the coil's primary. So, here's what you do: take a 3357 light bulb, or any other 12V light bulb with wires for connectors, and splay them out, connecting across the coil connector. When you crank the engine, that light bulb should flash rapidly. If not, you've either got problems with the ignition module, EEC relay/power, or a PIP (hall effect switch/pickup) signal isn't being sent to it.

You've already changed the ignition module (with a KNOWN and TESTED good one, right???), so you should start checking the module's connector and the hall effect switch in the distributor bowl. The Haynes manual has the pinout and voltage/resistance checks for the connectors laid out nicely. When you installed the new module, did you look up into the hall effect switch to see if the terminals were okay? Sometimes those get loose and cruddy; I had one on an '85 four-banger melt on me once, and ended up replacing the distributor.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote