MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
gtjeremy
Registered Member

Default dyno

just got the stang dynoed on the g trac. 245 rear wheel on one run and with a passenger. not bad, eh? mods:kn, clutch, alum driveshaft, pullies, off road h, flowmasters.
gtjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: dyno

Quote:
Originally posted by gtjeremy
just got the stang dynoed on the g trac. 245 rear wheel on one run and with a passenger. not bad, eh? mods:kn, clutch, alum driveshaft, pullies, off road h, flowmasters.
I would not take to much from the G_TECH its more of a ricers drag strip

yes you could be making that much power but the I would get on a real dyno before you start talking numbers

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I agree.

However, a G-Tech can be very useful in ways that I dyno can not. For example, a G-Tech can measure the affects on Net-HP of such things as different tires or gears.

I would NEVER take the info on a G-Tech as a "real" hp value, but it can be VERY useful for measuring change/improvement.

For example, a stock GT with 260 at the flywheel and 225 rwhp, might measure 195 hp with a G-Tech. So, let's say you add a chip, and the G-Tech now records 208 hp with a new run. You just measured a 13 hp increase! But, the G-Tech will produce much more inconsistant hp numbers because of things such as wheel spin. Remember the g-tech is measuring actual g forces produced on the car.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
I agree.

However, a G-Tech can be very useful in ways that I dyno can not. For example, a G-Tech can measure the affects on Net-HP of such things as different tires or gears.

I would NEVER take the info on a G-Tech as a "real" hp value, but it can be VERY useful for measuring change/improvement.

For example, a stock GT with 260 at the flywheel and 225 rwhp, might measure 195 hp with a G-Tech. So, let's say you add a chip, and the G-Tech now records 208 hp with a new run. You just measured a 13 hp increase! But, the G-Tech will produce much more inconsistant hp numbers because of things such as wheel spin. Remember the g-tech is measuring actual g forces produced on the car.
the reason I disagree is it does not factor in wind if you have a tail wind then it can show 10-15 hp more or a head wind it will show less or even side winds can show a lose
and it does not factor in the d/a or any of that so one day you can run it and it show 205hp and next day it might show 235hp
do to weather at least on a dyno that all that can fig. on

it does not factor in gears as well it will show a higher hp when gears and sticky tires come to play
my buddy had a g-tech and he used in has stang that could cut low 1.6 60' times and it told him he had 450hp when he only had at the time 360

those thing are just for ricers and or people that think hp numbers matter

i know many people with 03 cobras that brag (oh i have 390hp bahbahbah) but I would beat them in the 1/4 race without spraying there is alot of other things that matter more then how much power you make

that is for the people that need to feel better about themselfs by bragging how much there car makes

I have never had any of my cars on the dyno but for one reason and thats to check the air/fuel and you will never see me post how much power it makes

even when the motor is done and in and the 200 shot jets go in will never post numbers cause the only number that matters to me 1/4 mile numbers

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 04-12-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Explicitone:

I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge!!! You have educated me a bunch over the last 6 months and once again you have pointed out a few things to me that I did not consider such as wind.

When it comes to g meters, they are best for testing your 60 foot times, 1/8 miles, 1/4 miles and trap speeds when a track is not available. I have one, so I am familiar with their use and limitations. They are fun to play with.

I also do not know any Rice Burners! As a guy in my mid 30's (or perhaps it's just me), I simply don't run into ANY. I can see how guys could abuse the data now that you mention it.

On my machine, it allows you to enter in a multiplication factor for hp. I have mine set at 1.0, but it recomends 1.2 to account for transmission losses. You can see why I left mine alone and I don't give this data much credibility. However, I believe that it can be useful when documenting change.

For example, when I added 4.10's, it showed an increase in hp which to me says "the car is accelerating faster". The hp data that a g meter displays is nothing more than using g forces and the weight of the car & driver. But, I would never use this info to claim how much hp my car has. That would be rediculous.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 04-12-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Explicitone:

I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge!!! You have educated me a bunch over the last 6 months and once again you have pointed out a few things to me that I did not consider such as wind.

When it comes to g meters, they are best for testing your 60 foot times, 1/8 miles, 1/4 miles and trap speeds when a track is not available. I have one, so I am familiar with their use and limitations. They are fun to play with.

I also do not know any Rice Burners! As a guy in my mid 30's (or perhaps it's just me), I simply don't run into ANY. I can see how guys could abuse the data now that you mention it.

On my machine, it allows you to enter in a multiplication factor for hp. I have mine set at 1.0, but it recomends 1.2 to account for transmission losses. You can see why I left mine alone and I don't give this data much credibility. However, I believe that it can be useful when documenting change.

For example, when I added 4.10's, it showed an increase in hp which to me says "the car is accelerating faster". The hp data that a g meter displays is nothing more than using g forces and the weight of the car & driver. But, I would never use this info to claim how much hp my car has. That would be rediculous.

I hit the nail on the head in the first part

THEY ARE FUN TO PLAY WITH

I was not trying to offend anyone. I am just getting to the point where a lot of guys come into my buddys speed shop that I wrench in part time(mustangs,carmaros) its a mostly import shop and they come shooting there mouths off on how there car has 300+HP, and I will try get a little info from them and they say they got it from a g-tech.(this guy had a 97 GT) I tell him not to take the info as fact and he got pissed and asked what my GT was pushing out and I I dont know maybe around 260rwhp and he was what do you know I have 40hp over you this and that.

so I asked him to meet me at the track I would like to see his car run and maybe a race between us so he did about a month later.

we went to track I watched him make one run
he ran a 14.9@94

he said he missed a shift so I said ok why dont we try and line up and see then

he ran a 14.7@95 to my 13.56@102

so he was really putting maybe 195-205 to the ground with a mph like that I had him by 7 mph thats alot for having less power then him

the he started the crap that I him a bottle and this and that well that would be true now but I was all motor bolt ons on stock tires at the time..

you see I love to help people I dont care if its a mustang or honda if I can help and they are not being a ass then I will...

knowledge me I think I need to learn how to type I have sometimes edit my post 4 times cause I think faster then I can type LOL

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 04-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
420nitro
Registered Member

As goes for comparing how much horsepower you have to someone else's car or combo is a big waste of time, IMO. I am certain that I won't put any more money into a dyno sesstion unless it's almost free! I have even found more people that are going faster then I which even show less Horsepower then I on a dyno and would smoke me on any given day. Please don't be fooled by your ##'s and think you can blow someone away. The people with knowledge on combo's will know how fast a car is by the parts listed!. Explicitone most likely knew he could of blown that car away from the get go and never needed to know what his numbers were! I would have bet money on that race and just beat him by a nose everytime just so he would of kept coming back for more!!!!!
All I have to say is RUN IT!
Look heres an example.
I just went to the track first weekend of April.
LEAVING AT IDLE!!!(950 RPMS)
Shifting at 5200 into 2nd and 3rd. (a little shy...about 1200-1500rpms)
Shuting it down as soon as as I hit 3rd and hitting the brakes...(I blew the dip-stick out and got some oil on the windshield) ...blow by) I need another breather on the engine!
Oh yea,, One small thing...I shattered the sprag on launch!!! FPOS converter
60' 1.58
330' 4.576
1/8 7.122 @94.51
Now was I passed the 1/8 mile mark when I shut it down???...I don't know....maybe,...maybe not.
All I know is, that dyno wise...it should have never gone that fast on a good day without one hell of a tail wind! But it did and it has ALOT LEFT IN IT!!
So just run what you got,... and don't worry about how much horspower you supposedly have.
P.S I have a G-Tech to...I think they're cool as well. Just use them as a tunning tool and you will be fine.
My .02's

Last edited by 420nitro; 04-12-2004 at 10:52 AM..
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
gtjeremy
Registered Member

Default screw it

ok now i know never to post hp numbers unless i have a dyno graph attached otherwise i erupt controversy or a whole bunch of opinions that i don't care to read.
gtjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
420nitro
Registered Member

...Ok
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You should thank these guys for enlightening you on the subject of g-meters so you don't go embarass yourself telling people those hp numbers.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
explicitone
Registered Member

Default Re: screw it

Quote:
Originally posted by gtjeremy
ok now i know never to post hp numbers unless i have a dyno graph attached otherwise i erupt controversy or a whole bunch of opinions that i don't care to read.
if you dont want peoples opinions then why post it on a mustang board

I was just trying to help no need to get all upset

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 04-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Jeremy:

DON"T FEEL BAD. I once asked on this site "What is that thingy that hangs by the thinga ma jigger next to the whosey?"

Have fun, enjoy your stang, and don't take the wisdon here too personal.

(Group Hug)

My Stang:
Old 04-14-2004, 03:33 AM   #13
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I read this whole thread and I didnt see any eruptions of controversy or accusations or anything negative. They were just trying to tell you dont let the G-tech fool you like alot of others have been. Its fun to play with and all, and thats that.

I dont think anyone here wanted to, or ment to offend you Jeremy. You werent the subject of ridicule.

Just hints, and inside info from us that have expereince. You know if you ever need advice, or the straight up truth, we'll give it to you. It is better than to be told a lie and not know the truth just at the sake of ones ego, or own secure comfort.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote