MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2001, 11:48 PM   #1
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Question First Winter for my car Please help

I will be in connecticut this month and stay in New England for this winter. I will not use the car up there because of the snow. What do I do to prepare the car for winter It will be parked because I will have a rental. What kind of oil, antifreeze, or other suggestions. I will be driving up there from Florida. should I change my 180 degree to a 195?

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 08:33 AM   #2
fordgasm
Registered Member

Lightbulb

You should remove the battery and put it in a heated storage area. Put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank. Change the oil. Make sure the car is clean, put it in the garage and cover it. I also like to put it up on stands just to take the weight off the suspension. The biggest worry you have is the attack of mice. I use Bounce sheets inside of the car and engine compartment, I read somewhere they help repel the little bastards. Some use moth balls but the smell is too much for me.

If you are not going to drive it during the winter no need to change the thermostat.

Florida sounds nice right about now!

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 08:59 AM   #3
Jaydee
Registered Member

Agree 100% with all of the above suggestions, I've been storing my 87 notch every winter for the last 13 yrs in this manner with no problems. In addition to these, if the antifreeze has not been changed, do it and add also about 4 or 5 lbs of air to the tires prior to parking it. If you are storing your car outside, a high quality cover (well tied down) should be considered mandatory So far this winter, the weather around here has been considerably colder than normal and the 16" or so of snow in my back yard is showing no sign of melting - Have a safe trip!
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 10:52 AM   #4
MustangLX90
Registered Member

If your storing it outside i would invest in a cable lock for your cover. They are very cheap.
MustangLX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 12:16 PM   #5
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I put my GT away every winter.

Here is what I do:
Take out the battery
Change the oil
Put some baking soda in a cup, and place into car
Plug your tailpipes with rags (keep the mice out)
Make sure gas tank is FULL and then add some fuel stabilizer
Throw a car cover over it and you should be all set!

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
WANT XENON HEADLIGHTS AND WHITE FACE GAUGES? Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 01:11 PM   #6
roadrunner93
Registered Member

I store my '93 for 6 months a year. I put it on jack stands (in garage), undercoat with a little tranny fluid, place "mouse treat" all around the car, and I also start it up once every couple weeks (If you do this, make sure it warms up to full temperature before you shut it off.
roadrunner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 10:20 PM   #7
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I wanna make sure what to do. My car Will be outside, not in a garage. I will put a car cover on with a lock on it, put bakeing soda in a cup for the inside,cover the tail pipes, take off the ignition coil wire off, just for security sake. Have full strenth antifreeze, and take off my pony wheel caps also for security sake. Fuel stabilizer, and full tank. HAVE I LEFT ANYTHING ELSE. Anymoe idea's will be great. Thank's all!!

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote