MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2001, 06:40 AM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Cool Florida 5.0 dash clusters

What do you guys think of these?

I'm thinking it's kind of pointless to have 2 tach's, 2 oil pressure gauges, 2 temp gauges, etc. when you leave the factory gauges in the dash and mount aftermarket ones in the pillar or wherever, so I was considering one of these setups. Anyone ever seen one in a car? If I get one I was thinking it would look pretty sweet with Autometer Lunar series gauges in it. I'm wondering how hard these are to wire up though.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 08:54 AM   #2
Coupe Devil

I have seen one in a car and I WILL have one in my drag car. I think they are real cool but they are expensive. I called and prived the one for a single 3-3/8" guage and dual 2-5/8" guages and its $145 us dollars. I was like damn but they look sweet. My car will have a full cage so pillars mounting is not an option. I need every guage except the speedo in the drag car. I will put the tach, oil pressure, and water temp in the guage cluster, and volts and fuel level in the guage cage for the vents.

------------------
'93 lx notch 4 banger (drive it to work currently), Using the 306, 8.8 posi, 4.10's, summit rear cover, elec. fan, cowl hood, wieand stealth intake, holley 650 d.p.carb., built c-4, e-303, full autometer guages, msd box, mallory unilite dist, and coil, roll cage, summit seat, subs, 15x10's in the back with slicks, skinnies up front, all in use for 1988 Hatch Drag Car. Hope to start running next year. Hoping for 7.20's after all is done with small motor.
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 09:04 AM   #3
RMARIANI
Registered Member

I spoke to someone at Florida 5.0 about their kits and I was told they are designed to be pretty easy to install. I have to agree with you that when I see cars with the huge tach on the dash while still retaining the factory tach, it really doesn't make sense to me. The prices are high, but it looks like its a quality product and the options seem unlimited as to what goes in your new cluster. I plan on using one of their kits when the time comes.

[This message has been edited by RMARIANI (edited 09-19-2001).]
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 09:19 AM   #4
ke4gde
Registered Member

Cool

It looks nice, but personally I would want a cleaner look. Just a suggestion but check out Summit's catalog or website and look at the direct-fit digital gauge panel. its PN: NRD-DP5305 or on page 153 of the catalog. They connect to the stock sending units and run just under about 400 bucks and look sharp. hope that helps any.
ke4gde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 10:19 AM   #5
Moxie
Registered Member

Before you spend any money, contact Tim Teal at www.tealnet.com. I believe he dealt with them in the past, and they were less than professional. You may want to ask Tim about his experience first.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 10:25 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I'll do that Moxie.

I don't think they are all that expensive. If you figure the cost of the gauges and add a little for the bezel itself it's not all that bad.

I looked at the digital version in the Summit catalog before. It looks a little cheezy for me, plus, I'd have more trust in Auto Meter gauges.

If nothing else and these guys are that bad to deal with I'll just buy the bezel and install my own gauges

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241

[This message has been edited by 2FastLX (edited 09-19-2001).]
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 12:23 PM   #7
PKRWUD

Below is a lousy picture of the one piece aluminum dash panel I made for my nitrous injected 403 Buick, about 8 years ago. I was no craftsman, but it didn't turn out too bad. This is the only picture I have of it, and I didn't even clean up the interior before I took it! Oh well. Buy Autometer gauges, or at least avoid anything that relies on the factory sending units. Think small and thin as far as panels go. Mine was 1/16" thick, which was WAY TOO THICK, but I didn't realize this until I started to try and fabricate the panel. If I was builing another one, I wouldn't use any thicker than 1/32". I would also have all of the gauges made by the same manufacturer, but I couldn't afford that then, and had to make due with what I had. I installed 4 Sport Comp's (vac, h2o temp, oil psi, volts and fuel level), an Autogage tach, 2 VDO's (trans temp and fuel psi), and a GM 140 mph speedo. I also installed on the panel an MSD adjustable timing control, my HI-6 box, stereo, and switches for my aux. cooling fan, nitrous arming (the trigger was in the Megashifter's T handle), fuel pump and ignition kill. I also added two turnsignal indicators, a headlight switch, and the wiper controls. Wiring the dash was a piece of cake, and allowed me to finally have everything I wanted, the way I wanted it, all within reach. A basic understanding of electricity is all you need to design the wiring. Don't feel like you have to buy someone elses design. Create your own! Just make sure you plan it all out. Looking at this picture, I'm almost embarassed. I know I could do a much better job today, but it was my first, and it worked killer (except when the evening sun was behind me, in which case I had a nasty glare to deal with).

Anyway, it was alot of fun, was exactly the way I wanted it, and was a one of a kind.

Do it yourself!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-19-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote