MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MAC cat back or Flowmaster catback.... (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=22067)

04-09-2002 11:28 PM

MAC cat back or Flowmaster catback....

which sounds more MUSCULAR when combined with a high flow catted H-pipe?

surfbeast 04-10-2002 06:24 AM

I,ve had both. The MAC flow path stright through design sounded more "turboish" is the closest I can explain, or maybe I should say closer duration exhaust tones while the Flowmaster has the classic "older Muscle car" drone or more spread out exhaust tone. The flowmaster seems to be loudest between the 1800 to 2200 RPM range. The Flowpath sounded real good but I personaly like the old car sound since those are the days I was brought up in! OF course both systems were loud and sounded real mean when you get on it!!
:D

SLOW 97 04-10-2002 08:40 AM

Get the Flows. Like S/B said, you can't beat that old school Flowmaster sound. The MAC's are much quieter than the flows by around 12 db. Just don't get 3-Chambers (Force II system) get 2-chambers (Amer. Thunder system) because the 3-chmabers are barely louder than a stock GT if any.

My1stStang 04-11-2002 05:50 PM

I've got the MAC flowpath mufflers with the prochamber. It gets more comments from people on how awesome it sounds. I put the mufflers on before the prochamber, and it still sounded pretty good with the stock h-pipe. Flows sound good, but MAC sounds awesome also. I didn't want to sound like every other mustang that drove by. Not that they sound bad, but I wanted to be unique.

BSchacht6 04-11-2002 06:06 PM

I have a 3 chamber flowmaster cat back system with a high flow X pipe. It is reall loud and sound excelent. As far as getting the 2 chamber Im not sure...The 3 chamber is about as loud as I want the car to be. But I supose its all a matter of taste. I would go for the Flows. Well good luck.

Bob

spyrojoe 04-12-2002 12:10 PM

I have a Mac off-road X and Mac cat-back. It screams when you get on it and isn't obnoxious when your cruising, unlike Flowmasters. I went with Mac just because I got tired of hearing Flow's on every Mustang out there. It's a nice change.

04-12-2002 12:42 PM

I have flowmaster 40's (2 chamber) my buddy has the mac mines a little louder but his has a more "consistant " sound unlike the flows that have the garrgle that sounds so sweet

grunt956 12-30-2006 03:42 AM

Re: MAC cat back or Flowmaster catback....

I Would Go With Flowmaster, 40 Series, American Thunder. I Currently Have Them On My 86 Hatchback Without Tailpipes And Believe Me These Are Aggresive Sounding. I Make Alarms Beep As I'm Driving Past Parked Cars. Don't Get Me Wrong, It's Not A Nasty Sound, It's A Deep Powerful Tone That's Gotten Me Several Compliments, From An Almost Stock Car. I'll Be Installing The Tailpipes Here Pretty Soon, As You Tend To Lose Top End When You Run Without Them. But I'd Definitely Go With Flows. Flows And Stangs Are The Perfect Combo.