MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2002, 06:58 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Default Will 2 1/2 cat back hurt me?

My current setup is 1 3/4 long tubes, dr gas x-pipe, and race bullits w/ turndowns. I want to quiet it down some and put a full exhaust system back on so I can drive it on the street. I wanted to get the mac 3" cat back with the 3" tailpipes but it was 460.00. I was not ready to spend that on a couple of mufflers and pipes so I bought the dynomax ultraflo 2 1/2 system. How bad will It hurt me reducing it from 3" to 2 1/2 after the x-pipe? Also, will the 2 1/2 ultraflo catback flow as good as a 3" mac flowpath cat back?
Thanks,
Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Exhaust pipe sizing

A 2 1/2" exhaust system will handle up to over 400 HP. You're fine.

'Sound' is subjective. You decide.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 05:41 PM   #3
PKRWUD

2.5" is perfect for stock to mildly modified applications. After reading your sig, I would recommend 2.75". 3" would work fine, but you may lose some bottom end torque. You'll be fine, but you might want to reduce the length of the tailpipes.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:58 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

That sucks If it slows me down allot I'll just put the cat back on my 93. If I have to I will go to a exhaust shop and get some 3" tail pipes bent. I will never pay 460.00 for the mac system.
Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2002, 11:46 PM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

I have a better idea
Why don't you get some of those resonating fart cans and bolt them straight to your X-Pipe

Knowing how loud and crappy those sound bolted to a single 2" exhaust pipe, I wonder what it would be like bolting 2 of them straight to an un-mufflered V-8. Probably like one of the race lawnmowers instead of the weed whackers that the Honda's sound like

ok, sorry, i just felt like talking
Old 04-19-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I wouldn't sweat it Wade. The cat back is easy enough to remove so just pull it when you go to the strip and run open after the crossover (man that's gotta sound wicked!). Your car will make plenty of HP with a 2 1/2" system on the street and more than likely eat most street cars for breakfast

What if you just changed mufflers? Anything you do is going to hurt you at the track because you have MAC mufflers right? Those are supposed to be the best flowing mufflers made. Either that or maybe try some custom piping with baffles in the tips, kinda like the Super Trap mufflers work so you could remove them at the track a lot easier. It would be easy to fabricate something like a silencer for a gun. I'll make a pic for you and make another reply.

Also, are you planning on going to US 41 this Saturday? I won't be able to make it so I'll catch you next time. If you go be gentle on her. Not like you have much left to break on it though huh?
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241

Last edited by 2FastLX; 04-19-2002 at 01:33 AM..
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:57 AM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I've attached a crude rendering of what I was talking about Wade. It would be no more than a can that would slip into your tail pipes with a series of washers welded into it. It would act like a silencer and as long as you kept the inside diameter of the washers around 2 1/2" it should be fine for the street.

Something like that would be simple enough to attach with a couple screws and removed for a day at the track.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 04-19-2002, 07:10 AM   #8
WADS56
gear banger

Kevin, right now I am running 3" race bullits w/turndowns. I was thinking of the supertrap thing but I want a cool looking set of tailpipes and I don't like the look of them. I think the Ultra flow flows better then all the chamberd mufflers so that is why I went with them. I should get my parts today and I will have it bolted up this sunday I'll post the results.
Wade
Old 04-19-2002, 10:16 AM   #9
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Are you going to US 41 tomorrow Wade?

Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
Old 04-19-2002, 10:52 AM   #10
WADS56
gear banger

I have to work this saturday or I would.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:53 AM   #11
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Wade, you could put the ultraflo mufflers in place of the bullits and your car would be quieter at idle and low rpms, that is of course until you put your foot to the floor. IMO, the 2 1/2 would be fine for street driving, but at the track I would remove the cat back after a few passes and see what kind of difference it makes... Probably pick up some e.t./mph, only one way to find out.

As far as a muffler shop bending up some 3" tailpipes for you, unless they have a mandrel bender I don't think they could do it. It's a pretty tight radius around the axle and our benders will not get the job done without kinking the pipe real bad, it's a pain in the buttocks and by the time they get done you will have been better off to just buy a set of prefab'd tail pipes and have them install them for you. IMO keep in mind... they could also run 2 1/2 out of your ultraflos up over the axle and then weld on some 3'' extensions, another option.

Has the law been bothering you or something? Or do you simply want your ride to be quieter?

I would put the ultraflo kit on your '93 and keep a race system on your '79. Swap out those bullits (glasspacks) for a real muffler. The ultraflo muffler could be installed with 3" flo-tubes and turn-downs and would sound wicked! If you want to go cheaper on a muff, get the welded aluminized ultraflo (Race Magnum). And there is always the 2 and 3 chamber flowmaster.

Rule of thumb -- smaller pipes make more noise (high pitch) than bigger pipes do (low pitch, deep tone). That is what I have realized working in a muffler shop.

Just tryin to help... let me know what you think.

Later

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:00 PM   #12
WADS56
gear banger

"IMO, the 2 1/2 would be fine for street driving, but at the track I would remove the cat back after a few passes and see what kind of difference it makes... Probably pick up some e.t./mph, only one way to find out. "
Thats why I wanted to get the 3" system best of both worlds.

"IMO keep in mind... they could also run 2 1/2 out of your ultraflos up over the axle and then weld on some 3'' extensions, another option. "
That would look cool, but the reason I wanted 3" was for the performance.

"Has the law been bothering you or something? Or do you simply want your ride to be quieter?"
I am converting the car back over to a street car (kind of) and turndowns with no sound deadning is killer on the ears.

"Rule of thumb -- smaller pipes make more noise (high pitch) than bigger pipes do (low pitch, deep tone). That is what I have realized working in a muffler shop. "
Thats cool... I like a car that screams not rumble.

Thanks for the help. Do you know what a mac flowpath muffler flows? The ultraflo's are like 1300cfm. So I was thinking that the 2 1/2 ultraflow catback will be better then the 3" mac catback.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:10 PM   #13
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

If you want your car to scream when you stomp on it, the ultraflo cat-back is the way to go. I ran that system on my car for a few years and had lots of compliments on the "unique" sound (most others run flowmasters). It's a good "street car" system.

I heard the Mac 3" system on a nearly stock GT (turns down at exit of course) with headers and off-road h-pipe and it had a real deep rumble to it...

As far as flow #'s I believe the ultraflo vs. Macflow in 2 1/2 config.; the ultraflo out does the macflow as far as an "apples to apples" test goes, but the 3" I would imagine out does 'em both (not sure, I'll get back to ya later tonight).

I remember you talking about a nitrous kit, the 3" system with your motor hp + nitrous shot would be a nice setup. It's hard to beat the ultraflo kit, I'd try it and if it's not what you expect you've got another stang to put the dynomax system on. It's a beautiful thing!!! Options, that is...

Good Luck with your decision Wade,

later

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote