MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2002, 01:58 PM   #1
langley
Registered Member

Unhappy ran tank too low 2

Like I said before I think I ran my tank way too low and now my fuel injectors are clogged-I think,My car is stuttering and shaking like you wouldn't beleive it feels like it has a funny car cam in it or it's going to die on me any minuite .I took it to my mechanic, at first he thought it was a dead cylinder,but he checked the compression and it was fine,now he THINKS doesn't know but thinks the fuel injectors are dirty or one could be gone,also I noticed my rear main or something is leaking a **** load of oil[just got my rear main done 4 months ago]The fuel injector flush is $100[cdn] and right now I laid off so I have too make sure the flush will work cause I'm on a tight budget-ANY THOUGHTS OR REPLIES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED-THANKS!!!

p.s I did my fuel filter and filled my tank up with 94 and those didn't work and my pump is fine
1990 lx coupe-AOD,15inch drag lites,3inch cowl hood,blue with blue ghost flames,Autometer monster tach,oil pressure and water temp sport comp guages,polished stock valve covers,MSD blaster coil,Ford motorsport underdrive pulleys,Johnson strut tower brace,Johnson G-load brace,hooker super comp headers,2-chamber flowmaster and flowmaster h-pipe 2 1/2,4:10 richmond gears,B&M stage 2 shift kit,bbk 70mm throttle body,73mm mas air sensor,holley systemax 2 intake,bbk cold air intake[fenderwell],frpp wires,crane 1.7 gold roleer rockers,crane e303 cam,hight flow water pump,heavy duty 4 core rad

Last edited by langley; 02-13-2002 at 08:35 PM..
langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 08:41 PM   #2
langley
Registered Member

I'm going to get the fuel injectors flushed do you think it's the right decision,or do you think it has anything to do with the fuel system,someone told me it could be a vac leak
1990 lx coupe-AOD,15inch drag lites,3inch cowl hood,blue with blue ghost flames,Autometer monster tach,oil pressure and water temp sport comp guages,polished stock valve covers,MSD blaster coil,Ford motorsport underdrive pulleys,Johnson strut tower brace,Johnson G-load brace,hooker super comp headers,2-chamber flowmaster and flowmaster h-pipe 2 1/2,4:10 richmond gears,B&M stage 2 shift kit,bbk 70mm throttle body,73mm mas air sensor,holley systemax 2 intake,bbk cold air intake[fenderwell],frpp wires,crane 1.7 gold roleer rockers,crane e303 cam,hight flow water pump,heavy duty 4 core rad
Old 02-13-2002, 10:01 PM   #3
Road Rage
Registered Member

Default another reason not to...

Too bad. It is a good idea never to drop below 1/4 tank. One reason not generaloy known is that fuel acts to cool the in-tank fuel pump, and if it "starves" due to sucking air in a tight corner, the internal parts temperatures rise quickly - repeated heatings will shorten the life of the pump.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:44 PM   #4
langley
Registered Member

I don't think the fuel pump is gone because the car starts if it was gone it would only turn over, thanks for the reply
Old 02-16-2002, 02:56 AM   #5
XR1stang
Registered Member

did you pull the plugs and check them?

Mine was acting pretty much the same way and when I yanked the plugs I found my #8 was fouled pretty bad with oil. Turns out I have a busted valve seal...

XR1stang
Old 02-16-2002, 05:44 AM   #6
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Wink I'm the WORST!!!!!

I try my best but I run on empty most the time...although, the last few months. I have been trying to keep it full and adding injection cleaner every third fill up.....(whats a fill up?) I'm sooooo bad at that. I had to meet at the title company to close on my house and the gauge was about to touch the empty line...i was thinking ....should I stop or wait( i was allready late!)
S0 I waited....
My car has done some nasty **** at the track from neglect of fuel..... I'm trying to turn over a new leaf...I' m not one to talk , but you would be better off never letting it get under 1/4 of a tank....I talk smak....I know.... but really, its hard on the ride, and we need to take care of our babies....

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 10:30 AM   #7
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Why would running your tank too low all of a sudden clog your injectors? Your fuel pick-up does not lay on the bottom of the tank. It is raised somewhat for the purpose of allowing the scum to settle to the bottom and not be picked up, unless you have one heck of a lot of scum.

A 14.9 gal tank has a useable 14± gal. So when you do run out of gas, there is still approxmately .9 gal left. I've run my '89 down to the point of pumping 13.5 gal into it, but never ran it dry.

You may have fuel problems such as clogged filters or pick-up, but I don't think running out of fuel caused it.

My old van had dual tanks on it. I would always run one till it quit, then switch over to the other. I would alternate the tanks, and never had a problem caused by running the tank dry.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 01:28 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Mustang has a 15.4 gallon tank. I've pumped 15.43 gallons into mine before. Yeah, it was out, but it kept restarting.

I really doubt your fuel system was affected. It could be a bad plug like stated. A good tune up probably isn't a bad idea.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 04:06 PM   #9
langley
Registered Member

I'll have a look at my wires and plugs,thanks for the insight,I got my fuel injectors flushed,of coarse it didn't work,I cleaned my throttle body and that didn't work either.thanks for the replies,I went ot the illegal drags last night with it stuttering like that and it actually sounded alot tougher than it is,sounded like it had a big cam or something.
Old 02-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #10
70_Nitrous_Eate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XR1stang
did you pull the plugs and check them?

Mine was acting pretty much the same way and when I yanked the plugs I found my #8 was fouled pretty bad with oil. Turns out I have a busted valve seal...

XR1stang
DOH! Where'd you get that avatar?
70_Nitrous_Eate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 07:13 PM   #11
XR1stang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 70_Nitrous_Eate

DOH! Where'd you get that avatar?
I found the full sized picture on another site a while back, before MW went over to VBB. I just resized it and made it my avatar cause I couldn't think of anything better.

How about you?

XR1stang
XR1stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 01:12 PM   #12
70_Nitrous_Eate
Registered Member

Had the full sized one emailed to me and cropped it to be my avatar. But I did this when Stangnet was the only VBB mustang board that supported avatars so a beat ya by a couple of months. I really don't care tho, it's a cool pic!
70_Nitrous_Eate is offline   Reply With Quote