MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-06-2002, 07:34 PM   #1
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

Default Head swap question

Hi all
i have a urgent question to ask tommorrow i plan on purchasing a head swap kit from parkway i have asked many people if i will have a problem with my headers going on right. in the 2002 ford racing catalog the headers say specifically that they will not fit 2000 plus engines but will with minor mods on 99 mustangs since this is a considerable chunk of change i will be dishing out i need to know if anybody has had any problems, that is people who have frpp headers on there 98 stang and have done the swap. i myself don`t see a problem but others i have talked to give me conflicting information also can i still run lower octane gas when i need to.with thw higher compression

thanks in advance

i already did a search and could not find this information
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
esandes
Registered Member

I doubt you'll have a problem. I have FRPP heads and shortys. The 99+ head swap will bump up your CR but you shouldn't need premium gas unless you bump the timing.

98 GT w/ lots of bolt-ons
esandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:50 AM   #3
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

I spoke to the guys at Parkway about a month or so ago and they say you shouldn't have any problems, the kit looks pretty much complete and I believe they're using '01 stock heads w/ the stock cams. Let me know how it turns out for you, if you have any problems, and what kind of improvement you get from it, thks!!
98 GT convrtble, March Underdrive pulleys, K&N filter, homemade ram air, Steeda Tri-ax shifter and Strut Tower Brace, billett MOMO shift knob, billett a/c knobs, billett emergency brake handle, UPr's cable adjuster and triple pick-up quadrant, smoked headlight covers.
EC98GTcnvrtble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:01 PM   #4
46stang
Registered Member

yea, they bolt right on! I did the headswap on my friends 98 gt. he had the ford shorties as well. it bolted right up! the compression will be over 10.5 to 1. I used premium in my headswapped 96 gt at all times! cheap insurance imho! make sure you get the 01 or newer heads so you can reuse your valve covers!
Leon

11.49@122mph bakerfield raceway!
11.67@120mph fontana

98 GT, stock for now.
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:00 PM   #5
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

thats great the guys at parkway said they were 01 heads and intake i asked about the fuel question they said i could run mid grade so long as i`m running stock timing on th engine and i should notice a significant increase since this is the last restrictive piece left on my engine if you haven`t already buy a cold air intake i just did and man what a difference car even idles better

If i used a thicker head gasket will it help my compression and if so what thickness should i get
thanks for all your help

Last edited by Badass_yellowGT; 10-09-2002 at 10:32 PM..
Old 10-10-2002, 09:39 AM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by esandes
The 99+ head swap will bump up your CR but you shouldn't need premium gas unless you bump the timing.
It bumbs the compression to 11:1. Hell yes you will never premium gas!!!

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:31 PM   #7
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i just got my heads today now i need to find the cam shafter holder i tried some dealers and they will not sell nor rent me the tool i need
and the only guy locally that will do the work for me want`s
$800.00 to do the switch the dealer won`t even do it for me so i`m kinda scewed for now until i get the tool i need .for people in MA who did the swap for you and how much did it cost or were did you get the tool from

and ford racing told me the comp is 10.3:1 with the switch not 11.1:1
Old 10-11-2002, 09:21 AM   #8
46stang
Registered Member

you dont need the cam holding tool! get a ford service manual though! The cams will rest in the position they are supposed to be in! Then when you put the chains on you only need to rotate them slightly to line them up! the service manual shows it pretty clearly. as for the gasket you would need a really really thick one to make any diff. in compression ratio. meaning i don't think there is such a thing. i allways used factory ones but? $800 isn't too bad of a price imho. it is alot of work. If it's your first one plan on 3 days. not real hard just time consuming!
Leon

11.49@122mph bakerfield raceway!
11.67@120mph fontana

98 GT, stock for now.
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 11:35 AM   #9
springs_stang
Registered Member

Wouldn't using a thicker gasket on stock height heads muck up the timing on an ohc type engine?

Anyway, here is a write up on what's involved in doing the headswap...... Headswap article

MODS: Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda T/A, FRPP 3.73s, FRPP Alum. Driveshaft, Magnapack cat-back, MM C/C plates, Fox Lake PI heads, BBK LTs, waiting on brown truck with with my Comp Cams

197.3rwhp
272.8tq
springs_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 12:38 AM   #10
xtrememach1racer
Registered Member

Default how much time to swap the heads?

Hey I am purchasing a complete PI head system from www.powerheads.com and I am just wondering if I can do the install myself? Where could I find details or instructions on this? How many hours might it take? Anyone ever done this before? If you have, how did the new power feel? Also, most importantly, how many hours should I expect to be charged for if I pay a speed shop to do this? Thanks.

Dave
xtrememach1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:11 AM   #11
EC98GTcnvrtble
Registered Member

Hey Badass did you get your heads in, how did it work out?? How's the car running now, let us know, thks!!
98 GT convrtble, March Underdrive pulleys, K&N filter, homemade ram air, Steeda Tri-ax shifter and Strut Tower Brace, billett MOMO shift knob, billett a/c knobs, billett emergency brake handle, UPr's cable adjuster and triple pick-up quadrant, smoked headlight covers.
EC98GTcnvrtble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #12
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

not yet the car is still in the shop had some problems has anybody with a 98 nustang who has done the swap have any idea how to mout the crossover for the plug wires on the alternator the old bracket held the wires and was also the back support for the alternator the new bracket does not line up with the new intake or back alternator bolt