MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-06-2002, 04:12 PM   #1
spankaveli
Registered Member

Default question about 5 lug drum swap

ok, ive done a search, so dont gimme the ole ""

I'm wondering, since when doing a swap on the rear you use ranger (or aerostar) axles and drum, couldnt you juse JUST the ranger drum? since you're using the other stock parts?

also, would there be a problem with bringing the mustang drum to a machine shop and having it drilled for 5 x 4.5"?

thanks

Old 11-06-2002, 06:37 PM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

You couldn't have your drum drilled cuz the spacing wouldn't match up. You would need to fill in a few wholes while drilling new ones. I'm not quite sure of the otherquestion, are you asking if you can use the ranger drum and keep with the mustang axle? If so theanswer is no. The studs that you put the lug nuts on are attached to the axle, not the drum. They just go through the drum. So if you kept your mustang axle and used a ranger drum, you would have 4 lugs with a 5 lug drum. Nothing would fit. If thats not what you were asking, please clarify. Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
chatcher
Registered Member

you do use the ranger drum it is the small one though ( 9inch) not the larger one ( 10 inch ) as they had two different size rear brake drums i cant remember why it was that way i just remember thats the way it was
Old 11-08-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
spankaveli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent_4573
You couldn't have your drum drilled cuz the spacing wouldn't match up. You would need to fill in a few wholes while drilling new ones. I'm not quite sure of the otherquestion, are you asking if you can use the ranger drum and keep with the mustang axle? If so theanswer is no. The studs that you put the lug nuts on are attached to the axle, not the drum. They just go through the drum. So if you kept your mustang axle and used a ranger drum, you would have 4 lugs with a 5 lug drum. Nothing would fit. If thats not what you were asking, please clarify. Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.
thats what I was asking. i thought the lugs were in the drum only and not in the axle also, thank you. that answers my question.