MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2003, 04:29 AM   #1
Robocop
Registered Member

Default What now??

I have put much thought towards my 331 buildup but have neglected all other aspects of my car.I am curious to know what would be a good idea to replace or improve while my motor is out.I am attempting to hide some wires and need to know any other things I should considerbefore installing my new combo.I am attempting to try for at least 400 rwhp and do not know what other areas of my car should be improved.Is it easier to do the tubular k-member with the motor out?What about c/c plates or springs?Basically if you were preparing your car(1992 GT)what areas would you change or improve while you had the motor out?Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 02-10-2003, 05:03 AM   #2
Robocop
Registered Member

I forgot to mention what I intend to use the car for...I plan on keeping this car for many years and want a reliable street performer with maybe a once a month trip to the drag strip.Basically a well rounded package with air conditioning intact.I dont have to worry about emissions here so all the smog stuff is going first.The car may be driven 50 miles every two weeks or so.Just looking for ideas on areas of improvement besides the motor....Like should I lose the power steering or do my springs and suspension stuff now or is it even necessary with a basic street car?I know that some areas are just for looks but what is really necessary to improve before my installation or afterwards.I basically am needing to know what is easier to do now while the motor is out.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I would invest in a stronger tranny. If it is a 5 spd, I would suggest the Tremec TKO. They are only ~$100 more than the Tremec 3550 and they are stronger. If it is an AOD, I would invest in a C4. But that is just my suggestion.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
erikd93lx
Registered Member

While the TKO only costs 100 bucks more, you're also gonna need a new bigger clutch if you get a TKO. The Tko is a good tranny though and you should definitely should look into a new tranny if you have the money. I blew my T5 about 6 weeks after I put my 331 in. I found another T5 to put in and it lasted for about 5 weeks. I then rebuilt my old one myself and it seems to be holding out ok, but if I had money I would have most likely bought a Tremec T3550. You should also look into getting a better driveshaft, and better axles. Depending on your rear end you may want to at least pull the cover off and relube it. The K-member would be much easier to change while the motor is out, but the stock K-member isn't too bad. Springs could also be changed pretty easy if you are looking to change suspension or lower the car. You should also get some subframe connectors if you don't have them yet because the torque from a 331 will twist your car like a pretzel. You will be in desperate need of traction with 400 horses also, so you may want to change your control arms, they helped a good bit for me, but I still have major tracion issues. Good luck!
'94 white lightning, #2443 of 4007, built on april 27th, 1994. JET chip and a K&N
my ride: http://community.webshots.com/album/36965548zRfjyB
erikd93lx is offline   Reply With Quote