MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
B2r3y
Registered Member

Default Installation... HELP!!

I also wrote this in the Clutch etc.. thread but i need help!

OK guys thanks for all the info in choosing a new clutch. I picked up a Ford Racing King Cobra CLutch setup with clutch pp and throw out bearing at Tommy Vaughns Ford Racing in Houston for $190. But here comes a new problem.

Clutch Installation -
never done one b4 but have done a tranny swap. My step dad has done a clutch instal before and says its a peice of cake and so ill get him to help me. I didnt buy the quadrant for now or anything else becuz im short on money, I just need this clutch now becuz mine is burning and slipping real bad.
But can anyone that has done a clutch instal on their Fox Body Give me a brief walk through so that i dont **** things up when i go for this install? Any help would be great and would love it if someone could do a nice walk through! I appreciate everyoens time and advice!
Also need to know about tranny fluid and if i need to use any clutch fliud and what kinda and any details.

Thanks
Bryan
B2r3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:12 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

well, I think I can help you out... Someone might have an easier way of doing this, but I'll tell you how I did mine. It took me about 15 mins to install the flywheel, clutch, and tranny.

I'm assuming your using the same flywheel. I would recomend resurficing the flywheel. Take it to an autoparts place and have them turn it for you. If you flywheel is new, don't worry about it. It's very important to remember to not touch the clutch disk or the inside of the pressure plate. This is to keep dirt off of it. Put the clutch disk on the fly wheel and the pressure plate on the disk. Hold the pressure plate with one hand and start to tread the six 10mm bolts that hold the pp to the flywheel. I know some mechanics that use their fingers to do this, but put the clutch alignment tool though the pp, clutch, and flywheel until it touches the block, or until it stops. After you have centered the clutch (while still holding the alignment tool) start to bolt down the six bolts. Torque them down in a sequence so you can get an even pressure on the pp. The clutch fork snaps on a ball on the bell housing and the thoughout berring slides in the center of the clutch fork. Install the bell houseing. It helps if you get the upper bolts started first so you don't have to keep holding it. When you holding the bellhouseing up, make sure the though out berring is possitioned correctly on the presure plate "fingers" and the clutch fork is centered (up and down, not front to back) in the hole it is sticking out of from the bell houseing. Tighten up all the 5/8'' bolts and your 1/2 way done. Next is the fun part....the tranny. If your strong enough and/or talented enough you can do it by yourself, if not, you'll need a second hand. Be careful not to nick the input shaft on the tranny. Slowly guide the input shaft in to the bellhouseing and lift up the rear of the tranny. If you get it all aligned properly, it should just slide in like butter. Bolt down the four tranny to bellhouseing bolts. Install the tranny crossmember and then the mount. I find it's easier the mess with the mount after the crossmember is already installed. Install the speedo gear, all electrical connectors. Install the clutch cable. Pour 2 1/2 qts. of your favorite ATF and your good to go. Give the clutch a 500 mile break in period before you do a hard launch on it. I know it's hard to do, but don't get it over 3k rpms while driving. If you smell the cluch buring the first time you drive it, that's ok. It's just buring off. If you keep smelling it, then there is something wrong.

I hope this novel helps you out.
(PM me if you have any questions)
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

There seems to be quite a few people here from Housten. I'm thinking we all need to set something up to meet up one day. I'll put this up in the BOL for everyone to ponder on.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote