MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
Metal396
Registered Member

Exclamation Spark plug news

well since i bought my new plugs i figured id see wehre im at now... i remove the old plugs and check em... theyre all black and wet... my dad says theyre all in pretty good condition still, and i dont really need to change em.. thats true... plugs in cylinders 4, 5, and 7 werent as crispy as the rest. Plug number 1 wasnt in completely tight, and number 8 was in super tight, that was the only hard one to get out..(power steering hoses and brake master cylinder and headers in the way of the ratchet.)

I cleaned the plugs and re-gapped them because they were never gapped to begin with.. the stock specs says no more of a gap than 36.. so i gap em at 35... i put it all back together then start the car...

no difference at idle, so i take it around the block and.....

hehehe u cant wait can ya?

cough coughcough , up the rpms , it stumbles its way up REALLY bad at 3000 rpm and wont go above 3500..... its worse than before... sooo i conclude that tomorrow i will just put in all the new plugs wich are allready gapped at .045 ... that should be better... or i could actually widen the gap if there are any suggestions of that... and i will check under my distributor cap.. didnt get to do that today...

so thats whats goin on with the Spark Plug News.... id like to hear all your oppinions on this one... hehe... thanks and cya later...

1973 Mustang Coupe 351 cleveland 2v heads
Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley 600cfm carb
Hooker Headers, 2.5 inch pipes, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with turndowns.
Stock Fmx tranny and 2.75 rear end
My website:http://www.geocities.com/spddemontc
User Rides Index: http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?2541
Metal396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:41 PM   #2
zach0
Registered Member

It can all depend on type of ignition system you have also.

Check Post - Spark plug suggestions by Matt1190 on 2-24-03
1980 RX7 with 289 Ford V-8 bored .030 over, Very radical cam, Torker 2 high rise intake, Holley 650 Carb, MSD Nascar 6ALN ignition, MSD coil and distributor, Headers with dual open side exhaust. Over 300 horse.

1966 Mustang still in progress
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:04 PM   #3
matt1190
Registered Member

What were the plugs originally gapped at before you regapped them? it almost sounds like your not running on all the cylinders either. Did you check your wiring to make sure you have it all secure or maybe even you switched wires, throwing off the firing order. That could really mess you up.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
Metal396
Registered Member

The old plugs were never gapped, so their gap was anywhere between 35 and 50, each one was alittle different... All my wiring is new, autolite 7.5mm wires i bought a few months ago, and the firing order is in the correct order.. everything is hooked up correctly..

Proof that my distributor is bad is when i take off the cap, i can wiggle the rotor shaft just a tiny bit side to side.... and the centrifugal weights probably arent very good anymore either....

msd billet distributor is the solution... i can probably have that done by mid march... no worries

Thanks for the help

1973 Mustang Coupe 351 cleveland 2v heads
Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley 600cfm carb
Hooker Headers, 2.5 inch pipes, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with turndowns.
Stock Fmx tranny and 2.75 rear end
My website:http://www.geocities.com/spddemontc
User Rides Index: http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?2541
Metal396 is offline   Reply With Quote