MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2001, 10:29 AM   #1
Ford Vader
Registered Member

Red face Found pieces of metal in the throttle body and IAC valve...Please Help!

Hi guys, I'm making this post for a friend of mine that doesn't have internet access. He just bought a '90 GT with a Powerdyne s/c, Performer heads, Cobra u/l, E303 cam, etc. It started idling high and surging about a week after he bought it then one day the throttle stuck wide open while he was driving it. After pulling off the air intake we found that a small piece of metal had lodged the throttle body open. At the same time he pulled off the IAC valve because he thought that might have something to do with the idling problem and found several small pieces of metal in the IAC valve. Its definately aluminum and the largest piece was about the size of 1/4 of an eraser head. He took the IAC valve apart and the metal definately did not come from there. We think its coming from the Powerdyne supercharger. He's going to crack it open to see if the impeller is missing any blades, its still under warranty. He's got the Powerdyne 'unhooked' right now (no belt) and since he replaced the IAC valve the car has been running fine. Personally, I would be afraid to drive the car if I thought that metal might have made it into the intake but he thinks that it wouldn't be running well if any metal had gotten into the intake or heads. What do you guys think? Should he be driving the car? Or should he pull off at least the intake and maybe the heads to check for metal? Would the car be running good if there was any metal in there and what kind of damage could that cause? Sorry this post is so long...any help/opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Ford Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:35 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

I personally would be scared as hell to drive it, Since I could do the work I would pop the intake and heads off just to check, worth the $100 in gaskets. Whats the oil look like and metal shaving there?

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote