MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Young_Pony

Default Fox VS SN-95 HELP!!!!

Hey,

My car that i have been planning to race has recently driven its last highway and i am currently in the market to take up a new project for drag racing only no street duty, and i am looking at getting a 87-95 GT to do this with. I am wondering which would be better for this, i prefer the 94-95 Body and was think that the aerodynamics might pay off later when i start having the car run faster (goal being mid to low 9's) but the Foxes are cheaper (More Mod Money) and i have seen more of them in the classes im intrested in racing eventually (Limited Street in PSCA)

If anyone can tell me the differences between the two beside Body, Interior, and Brakes I would greatly appreciate it

Also any opinions on which might be better for a drag racing with stock suspension would be appreciated

My Budget is about 6-8 Grand and what my plan was to get the car and put a C-4 with higher stall, and then after getting alot of passes on the car start hopping up the engine

Thanks for any info, sorry bout long message

Steven
Old 06-24-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The fox Mustang is superior. It's cheaper, lighter, and the computers are more aggressive. Once you really start modding away, the difference begins to dwindle.

Basically, the SN95 is an enlarged, stiffened Fox platform.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:57 AM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I agree. For a drag car, go with the Fox style.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Young_Pony

wouldn't a fox produce inconsistent times if the chassie isn't as stiff as the SN-95 or would it not matter with stock times?
Old 06-25-2002, 03:24 PM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

I would go will the fox the sn95 they weigh to much and the thing with sn95 having a stiffer sould meen nothing if your making an all out drag car because of sub frame con. and roll cage . but keep in mind that you will have to get a fox that the frame is straight and not alot of body work needed because then it might cheaper and easier to get a sn95 instead of getting a well beat up fox and fixing all the little things that can be a pain in the rear end.

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 08:02 PM   #6
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default mid 9's

If your goal is mid 9's, you will be installing a cage and stiffening up the chassis anyways, so that shouldn't be a big issue between the fox and sn95.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 08:48 PM   #7
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Good question

this is a very good question Fox or SN95?

Definitely the Fox is lighter,but if you are running a certain class weight does not matter,end of that point.Your car will have to weigh a certain amount anyway,now it is easier to get a Fox down to say 2800-2900 pounds than it is to get a SN95 down to that weight because they are porkers.

If you run one of those classes that calls for full interior,carpet,dash,in other words a street class then weight does not matter,because you have to weigh a certain amount anyway.

Which body style is more stable? In my opinion the SN95 body is more stable,look at all the Pro guys Pro 5.0 that is that have switched to the SN95 body style,reason being stability.

You get going at 140-150mph that brick(Fox Body) is going to wiggle on you a little bit,while the aerodynamic SN95 is going to cut that air,but to sound like a contradiction,if your suspension is dialed,it probably won't matter at those speeds,that much reason I say that,a lot of Hot Street/Street Bandit cars are Fox body style.

So really in all honesty the decision is your's on what you want,if you are looking for sponsorship get the SN95,or have a real fast Fox Body with a killer paint job all depends on you.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 05:18 PM   #8
Young_Pony

thanks for the info,

The class im looking at racing has a 3300lbs min weight (3000 w/o Power Adder) and must have interior, you can only have Micky Thompson ET Streets 28 x 11.5, and engine's limited to 412c.i. with power adders (hydraulic Cam only)

If anyone can tell me what you think of this combo i would be gratefull:

Fox Body Stang
408 Stroker
with any of these:
Kenne Bell Whipplecharger
Vortech T or YS Trim
ATI D-1R
Built C-4 Trans w/2000-2500 Stall Converter
4.56 Gears

Those are the main Mods Planning on the car with all forged internals, ect.

What kind of suspension mods would i need, i don't know alot about suspension so any insite would be helpfull

Do you think this will give me the times im looking for? About how much HP/TQ will this combo give me?

Thanks for info

Steven

PS Stroked408 How much HP/TQ are you making, Thanks for the info on the different cars

Thanks for the info all, This will help alot with my plans (couldn't afford to build this kinda car right now)
Old 06-27-2002, 07:34 AM   #9
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up USA Racing

How you doing Steve,good to meet you,
my engine was built by USA Racing,it is a stroked 351W .030 overbore,and a 4 inch stroke,it has a Comp Cams XE282 565/574 and it has Vic Jr heads with a mild stage 1 port pretty much they were CNC'd before Edelbrock decided to start CNC'ing them.

It is a best of both world's motor torque monster and a little bit of a revver,it make s 538@5800 and just nudges 500 lb/ft of torque,this thing has been a 3 year project,and I am still trying to get it dialed in,track conditions you know,suspension.

I am an "All Motor" fan (LOL) it has run a best of 11.03@121 which is a soft pass in my opinion I am epecting 10.70's and 60's once I get some suspension work done.

Good Luck with your combo and project.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote