MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-23-2001, 08:11 AM   #1
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Question Front Brake Questions

Last week I posted that I changed my front pads but didn't have my rotors turned. Well the scraping has gotten less annoying, but its still there. This weekend, I'll be pulling the whole thing apart and have my rotors turned. Here come the questions. Besides the obvious, how can I tell if my bearings need to be replaced?? How much grease is too much grease?? And how tight does the retaining nut need to be?? Every other brake job I've ever done has been with "floating" rotors and hubs. This doesn't seem to difficult I just want to do it right the first time. Or in this case, the second time!!
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:14 AM   #2
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Anyone??
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:32 AM   #3
RED92LX50
Registered Member

I replaced my fronts about a mont ago...I had 75K on the original bearings so I went ahead and replaced them (as I had bought new rotors too). To pack the bearings, put a glob of grease in the palm of your hand and keep working grease up until it comes out the top - you don't want ANY air bubbles/pockets! As far as tightening the retaining nut - I put it on just over hand-tight while holding the nut in a socket (for better grip) - then backed it off a little for the cotter pin to fit.
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote