MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Simi Stang

Default front end feels a little "loose"

I have a '90 GT. My car has around 83K miles on it...about 22K on the motor. The thing that's been annoying me lately is the front end. It seems kind of loose. I'm sure I need to replace some bushings...but not sure which. Of course, it would be nice to replace all of the front end bushings...but who knows how long it will take for me to get to all of them. I have a to-do list for my stang a mile long...and it never seems to get any shorter. The front end seems stiff, and a little loose. When going over bumps, sometimes it feels like the front wheels get jarred by a bump in the road and the front of the car moves over a couple inches...say if I'm going around a turn or something. It's not that the front struts are not rebounding like they should...because they are new KYB stock replacements. Fairly old Koni 50/50 adjustables in the rear. Those seem fine though. I was just wondering if any of you knew by these symptoms I've described...where I should look first? Or what bushings I should replace first? I have fairly stiff Eibach specific rate springs that lowered the car about an inch and a half. Eventually I'll be getting some progressive rate springs that will hopefully soften up the ride some. I've replaced those long bolt looking things that the front sway bar connects to with the little round bushings on top & bottom of the lower a-arm & sway bar ends....with some heavy duty Energy Suspension pieces. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on what they are actually called?? I know I can still replace the rack & pinion bushings...and the front sway bar bushings that connect to the chassis. What else am I forgetting? I need to start giving this rattle trap an overhaul dammit.

Last edited by Simi Stang; 04-28-2004 at 12:54 PM..
Old 04-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default front end

Anyone?? Do I need an adjustable bump-steer kit? What about replacing the ball joints? Is that something I may need to do?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
RDMumfts Stang
Registered Member

You may want to check out http://www.maximummotorsports.com/ Their site is loaded with information, full explanations on what the parts they sell do. They have replacement front lower control arms.
Quote:
1979-93 M-3075-A $189.95/pair This kit upgrades the front lower control arms on 79-93 Mustangs and utilizes the 1996 control arms’ low-friction ball joints and improved inner bushings. Dramatically improves the impact harshness qualities of your vehicle and is recommended when heavy duty suspension components are added. Kit includes LH and RH lower control arm assemblies.
YOur KYBs may not be adequate for your stiffer springs. I had them on mine, with Maier Recing 2" drop springs (650lb specific rate) and did not like them. I am running Monroe Formula GPs, but will be upgrading to Tokico Illuminas soon. You might need a bumpsteer kit, I am running tie rod ends that Central Coast Mustang recommended at the time. MM has them FOZZ-3A130-A $84.95/ea (2 per car)
Quote:
On pre-1990 Mustangs WITH Caster/Camber plates adjusted to give a greater-than-stock amount of positive caster, you will have a slight bumpsteer effect. This can be remedied by installing '90-'93 tie rod ends - the right way to deal with bumpsteer. With respect to steering geometry, the effect of installing these tie rod ends is similar to what offset steering rack bushings do, except these tie rod ends move the tie rods the correct amount. Click here for more information on problems associated with offset steering rack bushings.
I have MMs solid rack bushings and Caster/Camber Plates, along with the Energy Suspension end links for lowered Mustangs. My car handles well, but I think I need to adjust the end links to tighten up the steering response

Next: complete tune-up
RDMumfts Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
tmoss
Registered Member

my car had a similar problem - when I'd drive over truck ruts in the highway the car would steer into them wihtout any change in the steering wheel. My steering rack started to leak bad and when I replaced the rack, steering was nice and tight and the car did not wander any more. One of your problems may be a worn steering rack.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
chatcher
Registered Member

before you replace the rack you should try steedas bumpsteer or at least get energy suspensions offset rack bushings and oh the blank you drew endlinks my friend swaybar endlinks