MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Front spring removal question...

Do i need a spring compressor to take out the front springs on an 85 gt. The engine is out, so there is no weight in the front right now. When i jack up the control arm it lifts the whole body off the jack stands without compressing the spring at all. I am wondering if there is tension on the spring, and if so is there too much to release the strut safely? I have heard that springs just fall out of these cars, which they did for rears, but I dont want to kill myself with the fronts.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
bad85gt
Registered Member

I bought a spring compresser at sears for like 40 bucks, I know I wouldnt be brave enough to try it myself, but yeah, sounds like there is some kinda tension still on it, if there wasnt it would fall out in theroy
Old 01-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

The stock springs are very long and are an atrocious pain to remove. You can disconnect the swaybar and the brakes and let it "fall" but then the tierod will hold it up. Be careful with the spring compressors, I had one break on me while removing it from the spring and the spring grazed my elbow as the 30 lb piece of metal _shot_ across my yard. I'm lucky I didnt break anything. These things could easily kill/dismember you!

I recommend... Get the a arm as low as it will go, get a long plank of wood, stick it behind the spring and use the wood as a lever. This lets you stand far clear of action and the spring will eject downward. This is how I remove my c-springs. You may need to put a little compression on them to get them to come out even with this.

Um....have fun!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

You don't need a spring compressor.

Here's my way of doing it.

-Lift the whole front end and set jackstands under it.
-Put a jack under the outter lip of the lower A-arm
-I dont have one, but you'll need to remove the swaybar mounts
-Remove the 2 strut bolts
(No need to remove the tie rods)
-VERY slowly let the jack down

Sometimes it will fall right out, but others I will have to lower the A-arm completely down and pry the spring out. It has very little tension on it at this point, but still be careful (don't pry it towards your open crotch)
Old 01-13-2003, 10:55 AM   #5
87BOSS351C
Registered Member

Default Here's a Tip to be Safe

Chain the spring to the car. Then if the spring does try to go flying it won't go far enough to do any damage to the car, yourself, or bystanders (can you say LAWSUIT?). For the 30 seconds it takes to chain it up it is plain reckless to skip it.
"and some other stuff"

Rice Haters Club Member #124
87BOSS351C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
shadow
Registered Member

I agree with Boss here. Just chain it to the car. I've done this many times and that is the best way not to get hurt.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
Conman
Registered Member

Those springs are the one thing I am affraid of on my car.
when I did mine I was suprised at how long they are. I don't think I would want to just let them fly. I borrowed a spring compressor from a parts store just to be safe and it did not cost me a thing.

good luck with it

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote