MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Front sway bar (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=35728)

Ieatcamaros 04-20-2003 09:30 AM

Front sway bar

What will it hurt to remove the front sway bar?

Coupe Devil 04-20-2003 10:18 AM

I hd an end link break on my 90 lx once. .It DID drive very differently but It didnt hurt anything. Took me a little while to get used to it. So I just took it off... I dont recommend trying to do much autocrossing but it wont hurt anything to take it off. Make straight line driving more fun:D

Bradley

Coupe50h 04-20-2003 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Coupe Devil
I hd an end link break on my 90 lx once. .It DID drive very differently but It didnt hurt anything. Took me a little while to get used to it. So I just took it off... I dont recommend trying to do much autocrossing but it wont hurt anything to take it off. Make straight line driving more fun:D

Bradley

Yea what he said, i actually broke my end link one night, i got rid of the bar and started hooking up at the track better.

82 GT 04-20-2003 12:11 PM

How the hell do you manage to break an endlink without beating the crap out of a car?

Coupe50h 04-20-2003 12:34 PM

I Remember making a post when i did it, but i did beat the crap outta the car.
I was coming back from the track like 5 miles down my road, it was dark, i missed an intersection, just didnt see it, i was looking down, no traffic thank god, and next thing i know i see a stop sign pass bye me, and all 4 of my tires leaving the ground!!

I slammed into the pavement, and felt the k member hit hard! i thought it was wrecked bad, well i drove to the nearest store looked under it, only thing i found was that the k-member was only scratched, alignment was hardly touched on steering, next day i heard the endlink was making a noise when i turned.

I believe this is why law enforcemet used these cars, i was going like 60 mph over a BIG dip and still managed to keep control.

Sicy Stang 04-20-2003 01:35 PM

Uhh call me stupid, but sway bars are for handling.. if you take it off wont your car handle like sh*it? :confused:

bigred90gt 04-20-2003 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sicy Stang
Uhh call me stupid, but sway bars are for handling.. if you take it off wont your car handle like sh*it? :confused:
I took mine off, and hardly noticed a difference. The major changes are it nosedives a little when I stor HARD, and it has better weight transfer when I launch. If you try to turn hard, you will get more body roll, but I dont turn hard in mine, my suspension is all jacked up and my car leans to the driver side.

Caymon

Sicy Stang 04-20-2003 03:35 PM

Ah I see :)

when I put bigger sway bars on my car I noticed it handled so much better.. thats why I asked.

mikew88gt 04-20-2003 04:22 PM

I took mine out of the car a few years ago when it was not longer a daily driver and became a street/strip car. It does affect handling enough that I would recommend taking it out completely and learning to drive slow around corners OR leaving it in as is. The reason I say that is I used to take mine out occassionally if I was planning on doing any kind of racing and then put it back in whenever time permitted. One night I was running it pretty hard on the way to work and tried to make a turn only the car wanted to keep going straight. It's not something worth wrecking your car over. Kind of like finding yourself upside down in a jeep because it was in 2 wheel drive instead of 4 in the middle of a snow storm. Did that make any sense?

Coupe50h 04-20-2003 08:45 PM

Well i run skinny front tires, so i just dont turn fast, if i wanted a road racer i would build one, it's up to the person, take it of, and be careful, or leave it on and handle better, you get more body roll without it, but it's a good thing if you run alot at the track like me, i cut a 1.9 on 225/60's radials one time, it would of never happened with the swaybar on.
good luck

Chris_H 04-20-2003 09:32 PM

I have to admit, I was pretty unsure about removing mine because of how bad people talked about not having one. When I put my 90/10's on, I took the sway bar off at the same time. Its not as bad as people make it out to seem. Yes the car feels different. Yes you have to go slower in corners that you usually fly through. Yes you get body roll when you turn hard or fast. Is it unsafe, I don;t think so. I have some 4cyl springs waiting to go in which will make it a little more unstable I am sure. But if it means giving up what I feel is a safe riding car, I wouldn't do it, especially with a pregnant wife in the car with me. I say get rid of it, and watch the difference at the track. Just my $.02 worth.

Chris

dragstang86 04-20-2003 10:02 PM

Everyone says that it makes a big difference in your 60ft at the track but what about the street? Does it hook noticablely better on the street?

Sicy Stang 04-20-2003 10:06 PM

See, this is what I dont get. Why on earth you would take it off (unless you are doing drag.. going straight..etc.. I can understand that).. because I love the way my car handles around sharp curves and I cant imagine why you would want to "go slow" in mustang (if you take the sway bar off) and have to watch turns and things like that. Plus the danger factor. If you're only driving on the street, not racing what benefits do you get for taking it off? Just trying to understand! :D

Chris_H 04-20-2003 10:16 PM

Ok, maybe I didn't get that out right. To me, the car feels no different than driving say a Buick or some kind of touring car. You know how when you are going up and down small hills in those cars, you can kind of feel the car "floating" on the hills kind of like the car is taking its time adjusting to the change in the road, unlike a stock mustang hugging the road. Same with going around corners in those cars. You can go around them pretty quick, but you can feel the body roll as you go through it. I used to drive a Crown Vic for work everyday, and I feel the Mustang now handles like that Crown Vic did. Hope this helps some.

Chris

Sicy Stang 04-20-2003 10:49 PM

Yeah that makes sense.. I guess maybe I just like the feel of a tight suspension? I dunno.. lol.