MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-31-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
horsesnake95
Registered Member

Default front tire wear

Hey guys, just another quick question. I have a 95 and was wondering if anyone else out there had experienced unusual tire wear in the front. I seem to be wearing out the inner 1/4 of the front tires way faster then the outtere 3/4s. Have heard a couple theories dealing with front end alignment being out of whack from the factory but am curious as to what any of you guys have to say about it. Basically I'm sick of replacing the front tires every 6 months and having the tire places tell me I just need to bring it in every couple months for alignment when I've been doing that and still have the same problems.
horsesnake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:13 PM   #2
LayanRubr
Registered Member

For reference of other readers what are the dimensions of your front tires? Sometimes they can be too large and scrape the wheel well. Just a theory but I'll let someone with more knolwedge see to this
Rice Hater's Club member #20
LayanRubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:19 PM   #3
horsesnake95
Registered Member

Well as far as tire size goes, the car started out as a 95 GTS and I had the same problem with the stock tire size. Now I'm running the 17x9 cobra R wheels with 245/45/17 on them and being they are a wider tire they are of course wearing out a little faster then the smaller ones. I'd heard from a couple people who say they know people who have used kits or shims to fix this problem, but they never know who makes them and I have yet to find anything on this problem.
horsesnake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:12 PM   #4
Shaggy
Registered Member

You need to adjust your camber and your toe when you get the elignment doen id you are set toe-in (which is factory setting) You will excelerate any inside tire wear and vice versa with toe-out. If you have the double adjustable caster/camber plates put as much castor in it as the plates will allow and set you toe to the furthest factory tolerance and your camber to as close to 0 as you can.

I have a track car set up with 5 degrees of castor -6 degrees of camber and 2.5 degrees toe-out and with that much toe out the tires actually wear even (i only get a weekend on them though know anybody that sells cheap Hoosier R3S03's ) Having that much castor let's the front end be stable at high speeds with that much toe-out.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

One other thing to note is if you have bad struts, bad tie rods, or bad ball joints, will all add to the wear of a tire.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
DaTank
Registered Member

I had the same problem, but with outside wear with some road noise. I took it to severeal alignment shops, but no one could get it right. I finally started asking around about good alignment people, and one place with a name kept coming up. So I took it to him and asked to talk to the guy. He looked at my wheels and looked inside the engine at the strut position and visually showed me some stuff that was wrong with the camber and toe stuff, like Shaggy was talking about. This was after "so called alignment shops" said they fixed it. I bought four new tires and had him do what it took to get it right. I haven't had any problems since and that was about 2 years ago. He also gave me a computer print out of all the settings for future if need be. He was great. So for me, it was finding some guy that new what he was doing. My tires have always been stock size.
Brad
High flow H-pipe, Force II W/2 chamber Flowmaster,
Hurst Shifter, 3.55 gears, subframes
DaTank is offline   Reply With Quote