MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default frozen locks/doors

If it rains then freezes overnight, or just a cold night, my locks become frozen (both doors) This used to happen maybe once a year here in NYC but it's already happened 5-6 times this year and we're having a very mild winter. When they freeze, you can put the key in the lock and turn to lock (clockwise) to lock it but cannot turn to unlock (counterclockwise). The power locks (if i was inside the car) would not work either. Sometimes the outter door handle will be frozen stiff, but usually its ok as the main problem is the key cant turn in the lock.

Is there a solution? Is it the actuators?

Getting sick of getting in from the hatch!!!
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Re: frozen locks/doors

That's why I don't lock my doors on my '88GT anymore when I know there's going to be freezing rain or sleet.....been there...done that too many times!
Since you live in NYC, I guess it's not recommended that you leave your doors unlocked..LOL
When my doors DID freeze, I had a can of lock de-icer in the house. I sprayed it liberally in the locks and around the door handle hinges and they opened within a minute or so.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Take a cigarette lighter to the key... then turn away my friend! It hardly snows or freezes rain in ole Alabamy but we have so many northerners here (army/NASA engineers) we're all non practicing experts LOL

PS: a little warm water will get you into the car (via handle) No promises on getting out. I always pretend I'm a famous football player when getting out!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
grey88gt
Registered Member

I had the same problem. Pulled the door panels off, used a small amount of spay lithieum greese, fixed it right up. Just need to displace the moisture, plus the lithieum will not dry up and go away.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey88gt
I had the same problem. Pulled the door panels off, used a small amount of spay lithieum greese, fixed it right up. Just need to displace the moisture, plus the lithieum will not dry up and go away.
where did you spray? was it a perminant fix?

yeah 82GT, I can't leave my car unlocked! heh heh

That lighter to the key sounds interesting, I gotta try that one.
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

You can get lithium spray at the parts store.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
bmxmon
Registered Member

wouldnt the heat transfer through the key and burn your fingers? Or just not that hot?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Gloves solve that problem.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
grey88gt
Registered Member

I actually sprayed it into the lock cylinder itself, the latch, where its external on the door by the striker bolt, and all of the pivot points on the handle and linkages. I now have an electric lock messing up on my passenger side now lol. They have never been changed so I guess its time for new ones
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #10
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

got locked out again this morning! damnit! i tried the lighter to the key with no success. i could not get the key super hot cause my lighter died! heh heh.

i guess lithieum spray is my best bet? i need to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

D@mn... usually works for me. You should buy a butane lighter. I know it sounds stupid, but it works for me hehehe. I'm surprised no one's heard of that one

I do have to warn you though... you are taking advice from a southerner about ice. Maybe you're frozen beyond the help of a cigarette lighter.

If you ever get humidified or sunburned out of your car I can help. Off topic, but enjoy your leather interiors... nobody buys them here for fear of an a$$ cooking.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

HOOD- i did use a butane lighter. problem with them is you cant run them for more than 10 seceonds straight b/c you will burn out the coils! you have to use for 8 seconds, let it cool, and repeat. i ran out of fluid anyways!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

LMAO!!! No d@mn wonder mine never last more than a couple of weeks!!! Can you see the light bulb break? Crap!

Old 01-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
82 GT
Import Slayer

I'll say it again.....lock de-icer!
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote