MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
87TtopMan
Registered Member

Default Frustrating electrical problem

This day has been crazy. I replaced my control module then had oil pressure problems but was able to fix it as stated in another post.

Now after driving alittle my car amost stopped cause voltage dropped badly. Didn't have anything on for more amps to be used. Then it started getting alittle better but still not good. I was on the way to replace my alternator. I replaced it with the 100 amp Pa-performance alternator then cranked the car up but still my voltage reading in the car is not good. Even get the amp warning by the speedometer. So i played with the wires near solenoid. Made it worse. Checked them out and found one that broke, fixed it and checked with meter for resistance and it was 0 so I thought I had got it. But still I am having issues. I turn on everything and Voltage is almost at 9 volts. Checked battery voltage and it was 14 so thats good. Does anyone know what else to do. Can I buy new wiring from harness to solenoid. Cause they are connected under the solenoid to the wiring harness but dont know what to ask for at the parts store. The reason for wanting to replace those is cause they are fragile and corroded bad. Thanks
87TtopMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
87TtopMan
Registered Member

Default Re: Frustrating electrical problem

guess no one knows or don't get on here unless they have issues

Looking for GT40 or GT40P heads
Mods bought but not installed, GT40 Intake, 65mm TB/EGR spacer, 24lb injectors, MAF conversion, Adjustable Fuel regulator
Old 09-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
meknized
fox fanatic

Hey,

To me it sounds like you might be close to figuring out the problem. You were messing with the wires near the selonoid and it got worse? If it were my car, I would go through every wire that had anything to do with the charging system by pulling of the wire loom and look for anything that is amiss. Like you were saying some stuff is really corroded. I don't know if the parts store would have that wiring harness or not.

Blue/silver 89 GT, Coast 331, ported GT-40x heads, X cam, cobra intake, 70mm TB, 75mm bullet, mac intake, 24lb inj, 255 lph fuel pump, accufab regulator, pulleys, MSD coil, 6AL, 300+ wires, Tremec 5 spd. pro 5.0 shifter, FMS drive shaft, headers, X-pipe, flowmasters, auburn pro series posi. moser 31s axles,3:73s, etc. Best ET 12.02@112.5
a pic A vid of a run:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9JMcErxML8
meknized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
808foxtang
#70 E Street Prepared

I would survey all the wires connect to your solenoid that look damaged by corrosion. Check the resistance on all these wires and see what you find. Make sure you take precautions by disconnecting the ground from your battery. The results could be rather stimulating (j/k).
Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
87TtopMan
Registered Member

I think my main problem since I fixed the broken wire again is that the pulley is to large with the u/d pulley on the crank. I think the alternator has to turn a min. rpm to operate correctly and it just isnt getting there.

Mods bought but not installed, GT40 Intake, 65mm TB/EGR spacer, 24lb injectors, MAF conversion, Adjustable Fuel regulator
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
Mustang_289
Registered Member

make sure your serp belt is not slipping. This happened to us, put a breaker bar on your tensioner while the car is running manually pull the tensioner tighter see if your voltage comes up across your battery.

If everything is working, you should see about 14.5 v.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
87TtopMan
Registered Member

I get a good 14.4 volts at the battery but when I turn anything on my gauge inside drops real bad. I have turned everything on and it almost wants to shut off. The voltage at the battery is 12.5 which is good imo but I just don't think I have enough amps from the alternator to stand up to everything on. I want to try my stock pulley on the alternator but hell I can rev up to 4k rpm and it still is reading low and only slightly better. I really think I have something drawing amps but I cant find it still.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
meknized
fox fanatic

Hey,

Have you checked your body grounds? There is one that goes from the negative battery terminal to the inside fender. That sometimes gets real corroded. You might try some heavy gauge wire and go from the block to the frame or firewall just to see if it gets better. I know that the ground straps are easily overlooked.

Blue/silver 89 GT, Coast 331, ported GT-40x heads, X cam, cobra intake, 70mm TB, 75mm bullet, mac intake, 24lb inj, 255 lph fuel pump, accufab regulator, pulleys, MSD coil, 6AL, 300+ wires, Tremec 5 spd. pro 5.0 shifter, FMS drive shaft, headers, X-pipe, flowmasters, auburn pro series posi. moser 31s axles,3:73s, etc. Best ET 12.02@112.5
a pic A vid of a run:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9JMcErxML8
meknized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
87TtopMan
Registered Member

Mek, I have a 4 ga going to the inside fender from the neg. terminal and there is another wire on the same screw into the fender. I took a wire brush to the fender leaving just metal. I think that one is good. I also took a look at the neg. going to the block, I used a wire brush on that as well. I measured the resistance of the cable and it was good. I personally think and wish I could just replace the whole wiring harness but I bet that is a ass load of work.

I spent the $200 bucks at Pa for the 100 amp alternator with kit just to have the same problem. I don't have a big radio system cause I just don't get into that very much aslong as I can play a cd im good to go. I just don't get it. I have basically nothing on but the amp can't keep it up. I am really thinking of changing batterys even though the auto parts store said it was good. It seems small also, cause there is much more room in the holder for a bigger battery. If the Battery is small will that make a difference?

Old 09-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Slipping belt, and GROUND problems are the first places I would look. Keep us posted on your progress!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
87TtopMan
Registered Member

Ill let you guys know once I get the chance maybe this weekend to take out the alternator and put on the factory pulley. I hope it will help some but I may need an even smaller one.