MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #1
blk88lx
Registered Member

Default Fuel Pressure regulator

Hey all,
I'm about to drop a 351W in my 93. Going w/a 65 mm T/B, 73 mm Mass air, bigger fuel pump (haven't decided how big) and 24lbs injectors. I have been talked into a fuel Pressure regulator. Hate to sound like a dumb ***** but how do you install them and how do they work?
blk88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

It mounts on the fuel rail where the stock one is

Get the Aeromotive FPR thats what I have and the install was really simple.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
blk88lx
Registered Member

so what does the stock one look like?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

it looks like a small fuel filter... here's one from brothers performance's web site... they dont have the best prices though.. but they have nice pictures

FPR

the stock unit will look like that..more or less without that threaded shaft, that's how you ADJUST it... the stock one is set a certain pressure and there is stays
-as
Old 03-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
blk88lx
Registered Member

Thanks, I wondered what the heck that thing was.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:11 PM   #6
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default FPR

Blk88lx.........Your package sounds great until you get to the 24# injectors............forget 'em!, they are barely better than 19's and leave you no room to grow, 30#er's will not be any worse as far as driveability, I would go larger on the MAF and get at least a 190LPH pump installed when you change injectors, you need VOLUME before you need PRESSURE.

To install the regulator as you asked, I suggest removing the Upper intake and it's a simple Remove and Replace thing, it can be done with the Upper on but it's a BEEITCH!!!!, Must use your pinkys to start the mounting screws, etc...just take of the manifold, make life easy.

When adjusting the regulator i don't know if you know this but you must remove the vacuum line to the regulator, adjust your pressure...and replace the vacuum line, you'll obviously need a gauge, it mounts on the Schraeder valve............spelled that wrong I know

Good luck...Camaro's Suck!!!!!!!!

Jay
Old 03-05-2003, 12:32 AM   #7
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

www.neweraperformanceparts.com , all of the best regulators on the market for all of the best prices on the market!
mike72678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:59 AM   #8
Technick
Registered Member

Just do not get carried away with to much fuel pressure, 32-35psi at an idle (stock cam) is normal, 40-44 psi at WOT (no vacume) is also normal. For drag racing you can get away with raising the pressure above that, say to 48-52 psi and maybe make a little more power, BUT, in daily street driving you will find that you will have some driveability issues with the pressure set that high. At WOT the ECU does not make any A/F raito changes, it goes to a predetermined "map" and stayes there. By going with more pressure you are enrichening the A/F ratio of the engine. Now at normal cruise and idle the ECU "looks" at the 02 sensors and "see's" the richer A/F ratio and trims back the pulse width of the injector to try and lean the engine out to "prefered" 14.7:1 A/F. So since the injector is "leaned" out and the pulse width is not what the ECU see's normally in that situation, it hunts back and forth trying to find a happy medium. Then you feel this driveability issue and think "man this thing needs MORE fuel" so you raise the pressure some more and the ECU leans it back out ect ect. can be a vicious cycle. So start on the conceritive side of the pressure issue. Especially with bigger injectors you may find that LESS pressure makes the car run better as the ECU does not have to trim the pulsewidth back so far. Remember less pressure equal MORE volume from the pump, More pressure equal LESS volume from the pump.