MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2002, 11:31 PM   #1
greydan
Registered Member

Default Fuel pump voltage

I've removed and re-installed my steering column to put a clutch quadrant in gggrrrrr. Done
Problem!
No fuel to the engine. I checked the safety shut-off in the hatch and reset it (car on stands at an angle for a week)
Is there a route for the fuel pump voltage line thru the column? (such as a wire to the ignition switch?)
Somewhere I've apparently lost voltage to the pump. The 'books' don't address how the voltage to the pump is turned on-off with the ignition. I don't want to tear the column out untill I know what I'm looking for first.
Clueless in mustang land <g>
'87 GT
thanks
greydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:21 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Have you checked for a bad fuse? Also, if that is good, you may want to check the fuel pump relay for an untimely failure beneath the drivers side seat.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:00 AM   #3
PKRWUD

There are two power sources that you need for the fuel pump to work. One goes from a fusible link near the starter relay to the fuel pump relay, and should have battery voltage at all times. It is Orange with a Light Blue tracer, both at the fuel pump relay and coming out of the fusible link. If it doesn't have voltage at the relay, the fusible link is probably bad.

The other power source goes from the ECM & EEC relay to the inertia switch to the fuel pump relay. It should only have voltage supplied to it for the first two seconds after the key is turned on, or when the engine is rotating (either cranking to start or running). If it doesn't have voltage for two seconds after turning the key on, trace it back and look for a short.

If both voltage sources are supplying voltage to the fuel pump relay when they are supposed to, and the relay is good, then the result will be voltage at the fuel pump relay's Pink/Black wire(s). If there is no voltage there when you turn the key on, but it is at the other two mentioned wires, then the relay is bad. If the relay tested good, then you have an open wire to the pump.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:02 PM   #4
greydan
Registered Member

Default fuel pump relay

Hah!
I took the seat out, put it back....musta twisted the plug-ins...the relay plug was un-plugged....Up and running now...thanks! Would have never found it.
Now that the clutch cable is replaced, the wife wants to learn how to drive it....we'll see how she does. Pretty grabby clutch in it. Musta been replaced with a HD, or something...not much slip letting it out <g>
Now onto a 3core and blue hose kit...ANYONE know what color the block is painted on these things? I can see the pan is light grey. Nows the time to clean-up the front 2/3 with the radiator out.
Far as I know, the engine has never been out of the car.
greydan is offline   Reply With Quote