MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-13-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default fuel system suggestions for NOS

I recently bought a NOS "sniper" system and I need some advice on a fuel system.
For the sniper system, a fuel system is recommended, but not mandatory but I feel I should play it safe and do one.
I'm thinking of upgrading the fuel lines to 3/8 and running a Mallory 110 gph fuel pump to feed the nitrous system and leaving my mechanical, Carter street pump to run N/A
This system is adjustable from 75-150 but I only ever plan on running a 125 shot at the most. I want to start with the 75 & 100 shots first until I get used to using it and monitoring engine conditions.
I also have a bottle warmer.
What do you think would be a reasonable fuel system without it being overkill?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Default Re: fuel system suggestions for NOS

My 306 uses a 255lph in-tank with an adjustable regulator and works just fine with my NOS Power Fogger.

We were able to tune it out just fine... and I'm using speed-density...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 GT
but I only ever plan on running a 125 shot at the most.
Yeah Right! That stuff is like smoking crack, as soon as you hit that button, you'll want more!!!

Quote:
I recently bought a NOS "sniper" system and I need some advice on a fuel system.
For the sniper system, a fuel system is recommended, but not mandatory but I feel I should play it safe and do one.
I'm thinking of upgrading the fuel lines to 3/8 and running a Mallory 110 gph fuel pump to feed the nitrous system and leaving my mechanical, Carter street pump to run N/A
This system is adjustable from 75-150 but I only ever plan on running a 125 shot at the most. I want to start with the 75 & 100 shots first until I get used to using it and monitoring engine conditions.
I also have a bottle warmer.
What do you think would be a reasonable fuel system without it being overkill?
Fuel systems are SOOOOO critical. This is NOT the time to get cheap, or "get by". If it's "recommended", IT'S A MUST!

Aiight beeeotch, welcome to fuel systems 101. Like I said in another thread, I've done my homework here. Rule #1: There IS NO SUCH THING as overkill on a fuel system. PERIOD. Think of it as expanding for the future.

DITCH the mechanical pump, you've outgrown it. Plain and simple. While you're at it, ditch the stock 5/16" fuel line, just flat out won't cut it. Throw a block off plate on that timing cover.

Mallory? Not impressed. Go with a Holley. Blue will get you by now, but if you put a Black on her, she's all ready for the next step. For now sucking it out of the stock siphon tube will work, but not up to potential. But you'll be OK for now. Start thinking sump, or at least a Granetelli pickup. (which is what I use for a return )

If you're taking the time to run a 3/8" solid line, why not go 1/2"? There again, you're ready for the future.

Here's what I would do in your situation. Suck out of the stock siphon tube (although that would be the NEXT thing I changed!), Holley Blue, through a Fram HG-1 filter, 1/2" aluminum tubing up front. Holley regulator, 1 side to a nice fuel delivery system for the carb, the other side to the nitrous solenoid. (Remember, FAT is SAFE!) Need an adapter for a MECHANICAL fuel pressure gauge in there somewhere too!

Just my $.02!!!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Dude, now that I sit here and think about it for a few minutes.....

Were you feeding that big bad azz 351W with the STOCK fuel line????? Referring to another thread, and what we talked about via e-mail. THAT'S your're problem! She's starvin!

Hit this thread, and then come back here:
Fuel lines

Well, I grew up since I posted that, and now I run a -10 up to the front. These cars are THIRSTY! I use over a gallon of fuel a pass!

No wonder that monster you built is slower than you want.

FEED HER!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

Soooo...you're saying if I upgraded my fuel lines, right now,I would see an increase in performance(without NOS)? Cool!

The reason I wanted a Mallory 110, was because it's MUCH quieter than a Holley blue and it's a low pressure/high volume pump which won't require a purchase of a regulator.
Second, I doubt very highly that this chassis will see a 700-800hp engine in the near future...seriously.
I guess I can go with 1/2 fuel line though.
If I don't have a regulator, would that mean I would have to "T" off the supply line and run a line to the nitrous solenoid?
I'm ready to buy some parts but I just want to be sure what I need to buy and if it will work.
Right now, I'm looking at a Mallory pump, 1/2 or 3/8 fuel lines, fuel pressure gauge and a block off plate.......miss anything?

BTW, Jester, I sent you an email about that carb. fuel line.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Iffin you still have that stock little pee-pee 5/16" fuel line trying to feed that monster you built, then my answer is:

ABSO-FRIGGN-LUTELY!

Giddy UP Bro! We gonna make you FLY!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
The reason I wanted a Mallory 110, was because it's MUCH quieter than a Holley blue and it's a low pressure/high volume pump which won't require a purchase of a regulator.
Pressure and Volume are completely different things. I can give you .2 GPH at 1,000 psi, which is very different than 1 GPH at 2,000 psi. You run a carb, so let these 30-50 PSI guys do their thing. We have OUR thing to do.

Quote:
Second, I doubt very highly that this chassis will see a 700-800hp engine in the near future...seriously..
Refer to Jester's rule #1, there is no such thing as fuel overkill. You have to make the fuel available to whatever your carb/engine wants.

Quote:
If I don't have a regulator, would that mean I would have to "T" off the supply line and run a line to the nitrous solenoid?..
Bull-puckies. You HAVE to regulate your fuel pressure. DO NOT trust the pump to do what it's supposed to. Regulate it, put a mechanical gauge on it, that way you KNOW what your system is doing.[/QUOTE]
I'm ready to buy some parts but I just want to be sure what I need to buy and if it will work.

Quote:
Right now, I'm looking at a Mallory pump, 1/2 or 3/8 fuel lines, fuel pressure gauge and a block off plate.......miss anything?
Mallory builds a killer distributor, but NOT impressed with fuel stuff as of yet. Go with Holley. Go with 1/2" fuel line. You missed NOTHING but guidance. Do what you want, listen to me, or whomever. Just trying to tell you what I've learned. You have a 351+ cube motor that you're trying to feed with a 5/16" line, and I have a 347 cuber that get's fed with a 5/8" line.

Not bustin your chops at all Bro, just throwin in my $.02!!!!

MICE need not apply.....

Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

after the times that Jester's 347 just ran, if he says you need a bigger fuel line, I would tend to believe it.

The way I look at it with mine, is yeah it will be overkill. But too much is gonna be better then too little at this point.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

"Brake Specific Fuel Consumption" means simply that it takes a certain amount of fuel (typically .5 pounds) to make 1 horsepower for 1 hour. We're trying to make 500 for 11 seconds or so. How much fuel is that? A BUNCH!

Here's some GOOD reading from Barry Grant.

Gas Can Test

MICE need not apply.....

Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

So, exactly which and how many -8 fittings will I need for this system?
Holley blue pump with regulator
1/2 fuel line
HG-1 filter

Do I HAVE to buy those expensive AN fittings or is there an alternative for connectors?
JESTER, help me get the ball rolling on this beast.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

It all depends on how you're gonna run the line. I'd go with braided hose, at least a short piece from the tank to the filter, and between the filter and pump. Then another short piece up front from the line to the carb.

Fittings... hmmmm. 1 into the filter, 1 out. 1 into the pump, 1 out. Do you have a -AN flaring tool, or can you get your hands on one? I'll throw some tube nuts and stuff in the box when I send it to you, you'll need them to go from the solid tube to the braided hose.

Quick shopping list off the top of my head:
Bulkhead fitting
6 -8 straight hose ends
4 -8 to 3/8" NPT adapters
?? -8 hose
?? 1/2" aluminum tubing

I'll throw some "help" in the box when I send it out to ya.

MICE need not apply.....