MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default Full Length Sub Frames???

I am looking to get some full length subframe connectors for my car. It hasnt had much done to it yet but i plan on some AFRs and and a cam shortly.

I am wondering if the full lenth connectors allow you to jack the car up on them or not? I seem to remember reading that the kenny brown ones were made to do this. Im just wondering about others since i dont have quite that much cash for the KBs. Im thinking of going Steeda or somthing simular.

Not that jacking the car on these is a big deal breaker or anything.

I assume i will want full length with the seat mount bolt for the max protection and not just the shorties ?
I want to make sure i do it right. Im looking for a good welder at the same time. My mustang hasnt seen much road in the last 8 years and i want to get back into the sport and the car now that im settled.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: Full Length Sub Frames???

Even though you MAY be able to, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER use a subframe connector to raise a car. Just too many things that "may" go wrong, suspension tweak, body panel indents, etc. etc.

Just my $.02 but I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. Like you said, not a deal breaker, but it's just not a good idea in general.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
richs347
Registered Member

x2...

The Kenny Brown ones have several braces in addition to the typical subframe connector which offers more support. However, the bars are not extremely beefy and I would be scared to balance a 3400lb vehicle on that thin bar.

Find a manufacturer that uses the full length - much better for stiffness. When you have someone weld it in, make sure the car is resting on all four wheels and not on a 2 post lift. Otherwise you will probably weld the car together with a slight twist to it.

www.mustangpartstech.com
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
scale
Registered Member

anyone have any experience with the full length subs from blue oval industries? THey have a couple sets on ebay right now that come with rear control arms as well for around 165 bucks. Im thinking i can knock out 2 birds with one stone this way.

The subframes look like they run the full length.....and bolt up to the stock seat bolts as well. They are a square tube design.

Anyone run them?
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs347
x2...
When you have someone weld it in, make sure the car is resting on all four wheels and not on a 2 post lift. Otherwise you will probably weld the car together with a slight twist to it.
My subs were welded on a two post lift, but they are tubular macs, I heard this before, but the research i've done, I found It is alright to weld them in on any lift, as long as you dont have the car on jackstands or something.
When my car was up in the air we checked the doors, and trunk, and everything was lined up so we started welding, for full lengths you probaly want the car on it's wheels for clearance, full lengths are long. And jacking up the car with a subframe shouldnt be a problem, if anything it is better, than jacking one up without subs, you can actually see the car twisting when jacking up on the frame.

Btw, My friend just got some 5ft long subs with the torque box reinforcement, shops are quoting him 175$ for the welding, because it requires more welding, mine were done 40$ later
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
scale
Registered Member

175 for the welding job...dang that seems high....

im hoping to find someone local that can do it for a more reasonalbe price. Im not sure what to expect yet but 175 seems steep.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Yea 175, But they said they would do it right, I got what i paid for since the welds arent too pretty, but hey it's underneath, who's gonna see it.
btw, I talked to him, he said he bought his from blue oval too, says they are nice.
Oh yea, If i had to do it again, I would get the ones with the torque box reinforcement, I have all kinds of welds on my torque boxes from where it tore, and i had to repair it, A little tear can turn into a big one! and major chassis work.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

Old 12-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
scale
Registered Member

i am looking at the full length BMR Subframe connectors now. Anyone run those? They look pretty darn solid
Old 12-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Coupe50h
Registered Member

update, the guy got them welded for 85$ looks nice too, went for a ride in it, everything seems tight.......He just needed to bolt the seat mount supports on underneath, which came with the sub connectors.
race weight 3,160

Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
scale
Registered Member

at this point im trying to decide between the BMR, MAIER and Maximum Motorsports full length subframes. THE MM are about $150 where as the other 2 are around 250.....

I think the BMR look the strongest but i have emailed tech support there to see if there is any loss in ground clearance.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Look at Summit and Jeg's. Tubular, full length, etc etc.

MM is TOOOO pricey in my book.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote