MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
moosejaw
Registered Member

Smile G-Force T-5 finally completed and installed.

It may have taken about a month from decision to completion but the "new" rebuilt T-5 is installed and shifting. I had to replace almost everything in my donor transmission (even 5th gear). Overall the gear set makes a low whine all the time to let you know it is there. 2nd and 3rd are a little louder than other gears but this noise is just reassurance that they are ready for power.

I can't wait to get some miles on the new clutch so I can lay down some power.

Mike
Old 02-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
429mustang
Registered Member

Sounds pretty sweet, was it hard rebuilding the whole setup? Do you think it was worth it over buying a TKO?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:37 PM   #3
moosejaw
Registered Member

It wasn't to hard to rebuild. I needed a special snap ring tool $15 (not a pin and hole type), clam shell bearing puller and maybe a press if necessary. Otherwise it is not a difficult rebuild. The end play/shim setup is not hard.

The T-5 is overall a better setup IMHO. The master rebuild kits are widely available, small parts can be had cheap i.e. snychro sliders/reverse idlers.

To get a TKO to perform long term at high power you must buy the high nickel alloy 3rd gears, have the countershaft keyway re-inforced and weld the countershaft 3rd to the head gear. I got quotes on all the parts I needed to make my 3550 hold up and it was too much. A new TKO with these mods was also more money.

In the end I got a lighter trans with less rotating mass and it has more parts support and more power handling for less money.

Sure I could buy an X2C TKO but that is still a crap load more money for less reliability.

I am fixing a customer's TKO (right now ) that has a broken 3-4 shift fork. My T-5 now has bronze shift forks that probably won't break as easily as aluminum.

Mike
Old 02-23-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
Scrapla
Registered Member

Where did you order that kit from I was looking into that for my t5 or maybe a junk yard t5 I'll pull, im building a 347 with either a 100hp dry NOS (kit 5115) or a Novi1000 S/C kit good for about 75-100hp and need a good tranny to hold up since my car is and will remain a daily driver ( highway+stop and go everyday)

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
moosejaw
Registered Member

Go to my web page link (the WWW below). I have pictures and links to G-Force.

Mike
Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
tmoss
Registered Member

Mike - there is no "www below"

I went to Mustang Muscle for a dyno - $75 for 3 pulls. I brought my own tools and asked if I could tweak the F/P between pulls. I was told that they would have to charge me $200 to let ME do that. NOT very customer friendly as many shops you read about allow that as long as they don't do the work. I stopped him after the second pull as it was a waste of time. I won't be going back there for future dynos. Stegman's get my business next.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
moosejaw
Registered Member

I don't think they told you that. We encourage people to adjust their cars. Unless you were there on a dyno day with 10 cars waiting behind you, what you say is not true.

$75 for 3 pulls? Was that for a wide band pull? That price is in between wide band and non-wide band pricing.

$200?
What you have "quoted" is the hourly rate for 'us' to tune your car. This doesn't jive. Who did your dyno? Was I there?

BTW the WWW is under everones post. Look down at the little icons. See the one with the House. Click that.

Mike
Old 02-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moosejaw
I don't think they told you that. We encourage people to adjust their cars. Unless you were there on a dyno day with 10 cars waiting behind you, what you say is not true.

$75 for 3 pulls? Was that for a wide band pull? That price is in between wide band and non-wide band pricing.

$200?
What you have "quoted" is the hourly rate for 'us' to tune your car. This doesn't jive. Who did your dyno? Was I there?

BTW the WWW is under everones post. Look down at the little icons. See the one with the House. Click that.

Mike
Well it was me that was told so I got right. I paid $75 got 2 pulls as described - I saw no sense in doing the third since I couldn't tweak the car and no wide band was used. I asked about the wide band but was told it couldn't be used for some reason. I don't know who you are Mike, but if your the "owner" then it was probably you. There was one other fellow working there with you. This is Tom Moss. The shop was working on a blower Mustang that was burping water and you had been unable to stop it. I was squezed in between your work on that car. I HOPE this was not typical of the way customers get treated but it was ABSOLUTELY the way I was treated. Maybe you were frustrated with working on that other car and I got shorted, don't know. Want to make it up to me? I'm always willing to give someone a second chance. I'm doing a GT40P/Explorer intake/Crower 15511 cam change and will be redyno testing this spring.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

Old 02-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #9
moosejaw
Registered Member

I am not the owner. If you want to be made whole you should come by the shop and don't hijack my posts. I haven't always been around the shop because up until 5 months ago I had a different full time job. No one has ever been shorted on the dyno when I am assisting. If you got shorted you should come back with your new combo and we will make it right. Well as right as can be. Good luck.

Mike
Old 02-24-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
sedanman
Registered Member

Did you get a girdle for the case? I thought about a G-force but after looking/heard about many cases flexing and allowing abnormal gear meshing I decided to get a TKO since the case was meant to handle the power. I went ahead and got one that was proshifted by liberty since I plan to run it hard this year.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moosejaw
I am not the owner. If you want to be made whole you should come by the shop and don't hijack my posts. Mike
Did'nt mean to hijack the post - but these forums are for telling people about experiences with shops and mine was not that good. I posted that dyno minus the shop info due to that treatment - It's got over 4,000 hits now and that would have been a good free ad. I will call when the time comes and we'll see what we can do - back to your thread............

Old 02-25-2004, 10:56 PM   #12
moosejaw
Registered Member

Good. I am pretty sure I didn't participate in your dyno but that still doesn't make the experience right. Maybe I could do some volunteer work on your project to help even things out? Let me know what you are doing next and I'll see what I can do for you.

Sedan man, I didn't get a girdle for the T-5. I am going to push the stock case to the limit. I do have solid mounts on everything to keep it all aligned. There is a new T-5 case in development by Medatronics (5speeds.com). Their new case is intended for endurance racing so it should be appropriate for drag and street. It is true the Tremec 3550 case can handle the power but can the counter shaft design handle the power without major mods. The 3550's have a lot of things going for them but there is some drawbacks. I have heard of too many TKO's giving up during endurance races so I'll try something else for now. I'll fess up when it breaks.

Mike
Old 02-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
sedanman
Registered Member

Yeah I am excited to see how it all pans out. I just like to see mustangs haul ***. I am sure we will see this season what works and what dosnt. Hell the G-force may come away the clear favorite.

I am sure gonna test the TKO (mine is proshifted from liberty).

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote