MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-11-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Post Gauges????

some time this summer i want to add three gauges to the inside of my car....i already know what one will be and thats boost, no i dont have a supercharger but some time in the future i will get one...so im saving a spot for that..so know im down to two gauges...what are your guyses recommendation on which gauges to get, also..what do you hook the boost gauge up to and if i hooked it up with out a super charger what would it do?

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 02:49 PM   #2
ByrdPE
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Oil,water,electric FP gauge.

HTH

------------------
FMS 373,Mac U/D Pullies,B&M shift kit,B&M Trans cooler,
KYB's,FMS 65mm T/B,Moroso cold air kit,75mm Bullet,BBK sub frame connectors,Power-slotted rotors w/performance friction pads
PST performance sway-bar kit,3G alternator,Maximum Motorsports Strut tower brace,Maximum Motorsports G-Load brace
Maximum Motorsports lower control arms,Autometer,oil,H2O,
volt MSD6AL,MSD Blaster coil,'Tiny Avenger'intake pipe

ByrdPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 03:05 PM   #3
DemonGT
Registered Member

im thinken of geting oil temp and water temp...why exactly do i need to know the oil temp and water temp?

------------------
1991 GT,T-5,air silencer removed,racing clutch(previous owner put in so dont know what kind),K&N air filter,Aiwa deck,power acoustic amp,2 12" pianeers,UPDATE: Just got my Mac long tube headers

By the time summer comes ill have full Mac exhaust,new shifter knob and what ever else i can afford
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 11:56 PM   #4
MiracleMax
Registered Member

If your installing a mechanical oil temp gauge, you'll have to make a hole in the oil pan for the probe, unless you have an oil cooler, then you could put a manifold in and plumb the probe in there. It think fuel pressure, oil pressure, and water temp are probably the most relavent. My .02 on the latter.

Boost gauges fall in the same catagory as vaccum gauges to me. Nice to look at but not to terribly important unless there is a specific need for them (course if I had a supercharger I would probably do the same ) Know if you were looking to measure the relatove worth of mods it might come in handy since a reduction in boost tends to indicate better heads/intakes, while on the other end creating more seem to indicate a gain in airflow.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 10:21 AM   #5
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

I would do oil temp and tranny temp.

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
WANT XENON HEADLIGHTS AND WHITE FACE GAUGES? Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 10:25 AM   #6
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

Ohh, and if you want a boost gauge, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...882378&r=0&t=0

There are also all kinds of other gauges, just search for autometer.

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
STORED: 1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
WANT XENON HEADLIGHTS AND WHITE FACE GAUGES? Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 07:35 PM   #7
Five.0
Registered Member

i dont know why everyone is saying oil temp?
the most important ones you need are oil pressure and water temp, and i know when you get to the serious mods you'll get a better understanding of its importance. for now it seems like the most useless thing ever, trust me i have them both and aside from the cool look, i havent got to the serious mods, but, ""THEY LOOK COOL""

94GT
3.73's, mac shorties, 3" pro-chamber h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmstrs, mac pulleys, ram-air induction, superchip, 2" drop riding on
275/40/17's all around.
Five.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 07:54 PM   #8
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

I'd go with Oil Pressure and Water Temp. Those are the two that will quickly tell if there is a major problem.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT

'85 GT 13.20 @ 105.8 / '72 Mach1
Long list...check website!!
My Website
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 10:41 PM   #9
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Five.O yah forgot fuel pressure! To me fuel pressure, oil pressure, and coolant temp are the three best choices! everything else is fluff Something to make your girlfriend get giddy about and you to take your eyes off the road and smack into the tail of another car as you accelerate and watch everything move through their sweeps. Oil temp gauges tend to read about 30-40 degrees lower I believe relavent to the temp at the bearings? So their usefulness isn't all that.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote