MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
Just me
Registered Member

Post Good, Sputter, Good

Hey all. I need help yet again and this message board has always been the place to go for answers. Great site, great people.
Ok. I want to know how to troubleshoot this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I start my car in the morning or when its been sitting for a couple of hours and I start it, everything seems ok. Even if I rev up the engine, I have no problems. When I drive the car everything seems ok. After a couple of minutes though, the engine begins to sputter horribly and I lose acceleration, so I have to pull over. At this point the engine idles perfect, but I just can't accelerate If I let it idle for about 20 seconds, I can drive away and for the rest of the day have no problems at all. The engine never shuts off during any of this. Could this be my Computer? Mass air? Injectors? Fuel filter? Fuel relay? EGR? XCS? POS? MOM? DAD? I have no idea where to begin. Thanks.

Just me
91'lx, 302 block, crank pulley, no smog, short belt, Wolverine 1087 cam, 15 deg timing, TFS TW heads, motorsport 1.6 3/8 stud RR, ARP studs, TFS chrome hardened push rods, 24lb inj, BBK 255lph fuel pump, Areomotive billet adj FPR, Performer RPM intake(ported to 75mm), 1" spacer, Motorsport polished tall valve covers(love em), Pro-M 77, Acufab 75mm TB, Ford idle air bypass valve, K&N conical, MSD 6AL and coil, 9mm MS cables, NGK bkr5e 11 plugs@55, motorsport 3 core radiator,160 thermostat, Hurst short throw, motorsport 410 gears, aluminum drive shaft,Kenny brown Subs, Mac 1 3/4"Long tube, custom 3"off road xpipe, 2 chamber Flow Masters, 3 1/2" tailpipes HAL tubular K-member, KYB struts and shocks, Eibach springs, Steeda 2.5" Cowl, Steeda rear wing, black Dupont centari acrylic enamel paint. Going for an electric fan setup with a blower.
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #2
Lexicon
Registered Member

could it possibly be some faulty readings coming from the o2 sensors as the temp is climbing on them. Maybe a intermitent fault with the heat. Clean the wire on the MASS Air unit with a good greasless electronics cleaner and try to get a scan tool and look for stored codes.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:43 PM   #3
matt cook
Registered Member

its the fuel filter or the sock in the tank.

------------------
1982 Mustang GT
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 04:11 PM   #4
Just me
Registered Member

Thanks. I'll clean the mass air and change the fuel filter. Any idea on how to clean the o2 sensors? Thanks.
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote