MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-2001, 08:58 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Got the ACT & ECT sensors. Where do they plug into and will it help me get started?

I was at the dealer picking up my power steering return line and MAF bracket when I asked about the ECT sensor. They showed me a lovely diagram and that's when I knew I needed them connected to my EFI harness and plugged into the manifold. But where do they go exactly. I have a Edelbrock 5.8 truck lower manifold and there is a nice spot between injector 6 & 7 and in the back by the PCV valve where it looks like it might fit. The problem is I need to take the upper off to put it in by the injectors. Should I a) cut the line and run extra line towards the back to avoid taking off the upper manifold and ruining my gasket, or b) take the manifold off and plug it where the wires would reach? Also, will these help my engine run correctly? I thought that maybe without them a error msg would be sent to the computer. I still have one plug open on the pass. side of the harness. Must be for the cannister, right?
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 08:38 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

I took some pictures of where these things are. I have a GT-40 intake, though.

Passenger Side

Drivers Side

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:10 PM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Jimberg-Thanks for everything. You've been a great hlp. Between the sensors and hooking up the wire to the EEC-IV, it must of done the job. She finally fired up today and it was like a 10 ton weight being lifted off my shoulders. It was the best feeling I've had since my daughter was born. But she won't idle. I have to give her fuel to get her started but the minute I back off the throttle she dies...immediately. What's the problem??
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:21 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

That would mean that you either need to set your idle screw or your idle air bypass valve isn't working properly.

Set your idle screw by backing it out until you can slip a .010" feeler gauge between the end of the screw and the stop plate. Tighten screw until you can feel a little tension when you move the gauge. Remove the gauge and turn the screw in another 1 1/2 turns.

It should be able to idle at this point. If it doesn't, it sounds like the IAB is probably bad or not hooked up correctly.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote