MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-05-2002, 04:45 AM   #1
tough90pony
Registered Member

Angry Gotta major problem!!

I have a 90gt and I have a problem with the engine/i don't know.
When the car is running it with all the sudden the idle will drop and when I give it gas it will miss out horribly. It started in May when we got back from WFC. I raced the car and it was fine but the day after, it acted up. It usually does it after the car is warmed up or if I let it idle too long. I 've tried well at least it seems like everything. The fuel pressure regulator, control module, ACT sensor, TPS, O2 sensors,different coil,fuel filter,fuel injection wiring harness,fuel pump relay etc.. The strange thing is that when the fuel pump primes, there will be a hissing sound under the hood. My buddies cars don't do that, we are dum bfounded on what to do next. I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have. Oh, also put new short block,in thinking maybe it was losing comp. but that wasn't it , that was an expensive expirement.
99 Cobra- 4:30 gears,FRPP springs,Steeda tri-ax, NX wet kit.
tough90pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 05:33 AM   #2
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default engine woes...

You have probably checked this, but have you looked at ALL of the vacuum lines to make sure that they are in tact and not cracked or loose? Especially those attached to the upper intake manifold. Look over the vacuum tree as well to make sure everything is hooked up well there and the tree itself is not cracked or broken. Just a thought.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:49 PM   #3
gtsr515
Registered Member

I think it's the "X" cam, not that the actual cam itself is bad, just how it likes to run.

Really need a more detailed picture of your car's parts to tell.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:02 PM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Get yourself a code tester and run the cylinder balance test. It'll give you some indication if maybe you've got a bad injector. Also, I had a FPR go bad once that hissed terribly because the fuel was making it past the diaphram and actually being sucked through the vacuum line and into the intake. Check to see if you've got raw fuel in the vacuum line. Might also check your vacuum at idle.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 09:12 PM   #5
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I say the TFI module, my car did this about a yr ago, when it ran kinda hot, stock 195 stat, it would start missing out horribly, out of nowhere and die?

I still dont know what that was, but im sure it was the tfi, or coil, which i just put in an accell coil, but it happended once more, when it cooled it ran fine, and i heard the hissing noise, like it was trying to breath through the maf, hasnt done it since i been running it cooler.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
GTguy02
Registered Member

Default SAME HERE MAN

Hey man,
just thought that id let ya know that my car does the exact sane thing. I have a 95 gt and it does exactly what you are describing. i dont quite know what to do either. i first thought it might be the cats...so i had a flowmaster system put on it and the cats cut off....no help though...then i thougt it might be the plugs. I changed them out to autolite platinum plugs...no luck there eithe. I dont know what it is. please let me know what u find out.
GTguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:37 AM   #7
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Got pretty much the same problem (88GT), car will start idling low and even cut off - and spitting and sputtering missing. My son and I don't know a lot about these engines with all the electronics and stuff. We took it over to our local Mustang specialty shop to look at. These guys are really good and are stright shooters as well!
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote