MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2001, 03:09 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Talking Great news! I'm losing 3rd Gear!!

You're probably thinking, why is this crazy chick happy she is losing 3rd??

Well I'll tell you. Up until now, my T-5 has been whining in 1st and whining AND grinding in 5th. I'm thinking to myself-who in the HELL bangs 1st and 5th???

So, now that 3rd gear has begun to whine, at least I know my transmission is giving up the ghost NORMALLY haha!

Anyone looking to get rid of a Tremec?

Also, someone was telling me that you can check the bearings in a T-5 by moving the shaft that sticks out of the front, and if it gives alot, then the bearings are going. Is this true??
------------------
Elisha (Mustangbelle)
1994 GT: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, and pulleys.
Sold the 1986 LX sedan http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

[This message has been edited by Mustangbelle306 (edited 04-18-2001).]
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 06:29 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I've never heard of that technique, as far as up and down, if there is basically any play, I would think it's shot. I can't figure out how an in and out play would be the bearings?

The T-5 went from a needle bearing (much like the setup in a U-joint) to a tapered roller bearing for more durability.

The input shaft, first gear, and the 3rd gear syncros are usually the weak points on the T-5.

Did you sell your other T-5? You may be able to slap that in there as a quick fix.

Sorry you're having so many problems with the beastie.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 04-18-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 11:31 PM   #3
Greasy Carl
Registered Member

Up and down movement of the imput shaft is normal because of its length and the fact that when it is out of the car it isn't riding in the throwout bearing which supports it during use.

In and out movement of the shaft indicates a problem because when a T-5 is built it is supposed to have a couple thousands of an inch of end play maximum and is supposed to be shimmed to this specification when rebuilt or new. If you can move the shaft forwards or back at all I would be highly suspect of the tranny.

If you start having problems with a T-5 the first thing to do IMO is change the transmission fluid, sometimes that will fix a lot of things and if it doesn't work then hey you are out a couple of bucks for fluid.

------------------
91 coupe, SVO block 380 windsor, Brodix Neal heads, Super victor spyder intake, 90mm Accufab, 160 lb. Bosch injectors, D2-R procharger, Dynamic powerglide, 4500 stall, 9" rear, Speed Pro injection. 1047 hp at the wheels on Dynojet dyno with 23 lbs. of boost.
Greasy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote