MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2001, 10:21 AM   #1
Shotgun28
Registered Member

Post gutting out my stock h-pipe

1) Has anyone done this?

2) What is involved?

3) Any performance gains from stock?

4) Will a check engine code register?

5) Finally, do I have to reinstall my smog pump assembly?

Thank you in response, partial answers are welcome as well.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip,GT40 P heads, looking at new exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
jeb
Registered Member

When I did mine, I hung it upside down from our fork lift and beat the snot out of the porceline crap with a large breaker bar for the front 2. On the back two (I couldn't get up in there because of the bends) I took a die grinder an carefully cut off the top heat shield. I then cut a square in the top, cutting 3-sides, and scoring the fourth.(so you can fold it up like a door) Then pound out that crap. Make sure you get the wire mesh in there too. If your cuts are clean enough you'll be able to bend the door shut, weld it back up nicely, and weld on the heat shields, and nobody will be able to tell. Other than the sound.
WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BREATHE THAT CRAP IN!!

------------------
90LX Ragtop.
15.5@91 w/Aod
Strut tower brace, K&N, 2.25'' Flowmasters, Hollow cats, Crank pulley, Crane 2031, Crane rockers, Holley FPR, Heavy duty clutch, and alum quadrant.
Need Gears Bad!!!
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:28 PM   #3
Green92LX
Registered Member

Just get some bendable tubing, like copper, and go to town... just make sure whatever you use is firm enough to not bend around in there...(lol)

Like jeb says, make sure you get that mesh crap out of there too. I did this with the same piece of tubing, just put a hook on the end.

Sorry I don't remember exactly what I used, but it was on my 88 GT about 8 years ago...

------------------
1992 LX:V-1 S-Trim ,Edelbrock 6037 Heads,Cobra Intake,E-303,1.6 Rollers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP,24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM,BBK equal length shorties,offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers,Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors,Ponies w/ 225/50 Nitto NT 450's on front,255/50 BFG Drags out back,93 Cobra Spoiler
Daily driver 89 Coupe:BBK shorties,offroad,flowturds with dumps,soon to be cyber green
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote