MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

Default H-pipe

I recently had a MAC h-pipe with hi-flow cats professionally installed, and since then, my car sounds better and I think I picked up a couple of highway horses, but sometimes when Iam driving at a constant speed, I can hear rattling from under the car, and when I first start the car and put it in drive and hit the gas to accelerate, it sometimes makes this weird popping sound for the first 1-2 seconds that sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. I've had the H-pipe on for a good 3 months now, and my car seems to be fine, except for the noises. Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this with an aftermarket H-pipe.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:16 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

As far as the popping noise, I'd have to guess your engine is running lean, and that's causing a backfire. Perhaps your fuel injectors are a little weak or need a cleaning.

The rattle is most likely the smog pipe that connects to the air pump being loose.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
25thmustang
Registered Member

I don't know about the ratteling, but my car has the same Mac H-pipe, and I was told that the popping is merely the expanding and contracting of the exhaust. It happens after you let off the throttle, and when I first start my car in the morning it happens. I was told that this is normal, and was okay. Oh ya, mine also did this when I had the stock H-ipie and Flowmaster cat-back.

1989 Mustang LX:
Cobra Intake, 65mm Tbody, 1.7RR, Mac CAI, 1 5/8 Mac headers, 2 1/2 Mac H-pipe, 2 1/2 Flowmaster Cat-back, 3.73s, BFGoodrich 275/40/17 Drag Radials.

2001 GT leather seats, 17x9 Cobra Rs.

Ricer Hater's club: member #48
14.185 @ 97mph (with AOD)

12-19-01
25thmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

I also have the mac h-pipe but I have the off road pipe and mine only does it when I let off the go peddle

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
drtbiker
Registered Member

i actual heard, i am just quoteing that it is called infire, from the differances in pressure and temps of inside the exaust system and the out side air, i am not sure if that is true but that is what i heard

-rl
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I'll just add to the list... I used to get the POPPING in the exhaust when I let off the gas on my olds. I am to understand it's actualy your exhaust igniting as it gets fresh oxygen from the outside air. I used to get it bad when I had a leaky header seal... once I fixed it it went away.. I dont think it's BAD for anything so much.. I thought it sounded kinda neat actualy.. it was a nice grumble when I let off the gas...

-as
Old 06-25-2002, 10:50 AM   #7
TwiLighTBluEGT
Registered Member

It get the same sound when I let go off the throttle, but the popping sound I am talking about happens when I first press down the throttle, not let off of it. And it sounds like it comes from under the hood, not from the exhaust. I know it is the H-pipe because it happened right after I drove it for the first time after I put the h-pipe on. Another thing, it seems to only do it in really humid weather. When the air is warm and clear, it is fine.
TwiLighTBluEGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 10:58 AM   #8
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

My stock h-pipe used to rattle. It was the metal-cover that goes over the catalatyc converter. Get under the car and bang around on the h-pipe to find the rattle.

After I installed my offroad h-pipe I had a problem with the smog-pipe bouncing around on the h-pipe. I shortened the tube and used a rubber tube with some clamps to hold it in place better. Another option would be to wrap the pipe with heat-wrap.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:46 AM   #9
drtbiker
Registered Member

If i actual ride the rpms and then shift it is weird i get the pop when i accelerate. Well i found out what that was when my friend was following me one day it shot a 2ft flame out each pipe. I figured it was maybe the motor running a little to rich. maybe way to rich i have no idea why it does that but who knows lol

-rl
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote