MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Angry Burned up my AOD... Now what?

I burned up my AOD the other day as I went to drop it into low to pass some traffic. I dropped it down to 1 instead of D and stomped it. It was unusual because they were never any signs of wear. The rpms went sky high and the tranny just burned up I guess. It smelled like it and now it makes noise when I drive it. With my gears in it now(4.10's), I'm doing 4500 rpms going about 35 and then the transmission loses it and slips completely. At first, I thought it was maybe the TV cable but I guess I'm not so lucky. Maybe it was that one little slip up.

Anyway, now its time to look at the future. I don't know exactly what to do and figured you guys could probably help. Obviously, I don't want to tear up another tranny after just one year of drag racing. My car ran 9.20's (in the 1/8th) before it broke and my mods are listed below. I felt like that the transmission that was in there should have lasted a bit longer(Just over 100,000 miles but always kept up), Afterall, I am running a basically stock mustang.

I've been all over the web checking out transmissions and I just can't decide on what to do. I found out some interesting stuff about stuffing the AOD-E guts in the AOD housing. It seems like a good idea and theres a guy here in town that will do it for about 1500.00 and stuff another transgo shift kit in there. I want a street/strip car but I've been thinking about the stage 3 shift kit. I don't know if the stage 2 kit was the problem or not but I only had it in about 5-6 months. Probably more of my fault. Since that shift incident, I'm thinking of an aftermarket shifter seriously(ideas)? I've been looking at it all, even the AOD to 5 speed swap which would be alot of fun but seems to get expensive quickly. I have a c-4 out of a ford fairmont sitting in my yard now that was behind a 302 but I'm thinking of leaving it for my eventual all out race car(project sleeper). Anyways a 3 spd auto and 4.10's wouldn't coincide to well with any reasonable gas mileage.

I hope I gave you enough information on my dilemna. I really appreciate the help. Tax returns are coming back here in a few weeks and I think my wife will let me spend anywhere up to 1600 or so. Thanks for your replies.

Later, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04

Last edited by 90'5.0 Conv; 01-24-2003 at 04:06 PM..
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #2
mustanggt_50
Registered Member

wow, weird how stuff like that happens, ive got an AOD in my car and ill drop it right to 1st selector all the time, it usually goes to second, but i also drive it hard and it seems to love it, ive got 3.73s not 4.10s tho i didnt think the rpm was to off, anyways, have you looked into Lentech AOD's they build a good street strip tranny, i guess it all comes down to what you plan on doing to the car. if your not doing much then you could prolly got with upgraded bands and clutches and have it work fine, if you want more power, then id check out other higher hp tranny's!!

later
87 GT T-roof (needs paint) lol, rebuilt motor and trans, AOD - stage 2 shift kit, 3.73 gears - auburn posi, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back, FRPP 155lph fuel pump, K&N filter - air silencer removed, subframe connectors, strut tower brace.

88 GT T-roof

1989 LX Coupe 5.0 - 5spd

Rice Haters Club member#105
mustanggt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
90'5.0 Conv

When I dropped mine down to 1st, I think it actually dropped down to first cause it was screamin and I was already going 55-60. I don't know why it did it but all i got to say is be careful with these shif kits installed. Where do I need to look to find out info on the Lentech AOD. Do they have pricies listed? Alot of these places I've been looking don't even have the pricing which is irritating. They want you to call so they can tell you how great it is and why it cost so much. Are the Lentechs available with the wide gear ratio cause to be honest, the AOD gear ratio sucks eggs. I will need something to handle some more horsepower no matter what I get because I do plan on adding some goodies. I wish I could tell you how many but I can't seem to stop once I get started.LOL Have a good Superbowl Sunday everyone.

Later, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 01-26-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
mustanggt_50
Registered Member

i did some looking around for ya, and i found there website
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/trans.htm take a look and see what they got, i know there are lots to choose from!! also i did look into one of the trannies on there, and it did show a price on it, i believe $1995 u.s., so id just look into man, you cant lose!!

later
87 GT T-roof (needs paint) lol, rebuilt motor and trans, AOD - stage 2 shift kit, 3.73 gears - auburn posi, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat Back, FRPP 155lph fuel pump, K&N filter - air silencer removed, subframe connectors, strut tower brace.

88 GT T-roof

1989 LX Coupe 5.0 - 5spd

Old 01-26-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
90'5.0 Conv

Thanks for the quick reply. That website is probably the best one I've been to yet. I really like the options they give you and with a warranty is great. The only problem is the prices, there up there. I really would like to get something like that though with a small warranty if possible but for a little less money hopefully. Really, I'm trying to stay under 1700 if that isn't asking too much. Any other ideas?

Thanks, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
Old 01-26-2003, 12:20 PM   #6
mustanggt_50
Registered Member

umm, i really dont have any other ideas. have you priced out a going to wide ratio gear set, cause if so, you could always, just get that, then have the tranny rebuilt, maybe buy a manual valve body, and upgrade the input shaft on it, its really hard to say, all i can say is go around to shops that rebuild them and see what they can tell ya.

later

88 GT T-roof

1989 LX Coupe 5.0 - 5spd