MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2001, 03:04 PM   #1
SlowStang2
Registered Member

Question Harder starts after head installation

O.k. if anyone has seen my previous topic, it was about a ticking I heard from a aluminum head installation, but with that came harder starting. I took it to a mechanic today who checked the battery, good, the alternator, good, the starter, it was apparently showing up on his computer as not operating right. He had the starter replaced, but it still starts hard. The starter makes a much slower wind noise than before the aluminum heads installation. When its hot, it takes about 6 seconds for the car to start. Should I be worried? What could this be? Would aluminum heads be effecting this? I tell you one thing, it sure is embarrassing. Thanx.

------------------
94' Stang GT Convertible --Cobra upper&lower, GT-40Y Turbo Swirl aluminum heads, Mac cold air w/K&N, BBK equal length shorties, BBK offroad H-pipe, American Thunder cat-back, BBK T/B 65mm, 24lb injectors, Pro-77mm MAM, pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, adjustable fuel regulator 14.4@100 MPH on G-tech;96 at track. (Sad, i know. This is with the stock heads)
SlowStang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:11 PM   #2
TEXSN95
Registered Member

Sounds like your rockers are adjusted way too tight.

------------------
Clint L.
White 95 Cobra #3637
58cc GT40X heads with mild porting, Crane 2031 cam, FRPP 65 TB, 1.7s, Cobra intake, homeade cold air, 155lph, pullies, Tokico Illuminas, C springs, GW LCAs, Kenny Brown super subs, Steeda CC plates, aluminum driveshaft, Steeda quadrant, B&M ripper, Kirban FPR, MSD6A, Taylor wires, Mac shorties, off road hpipe, 2 1/2 ultra flows w/ dumps, R hood, Euro clear corners, stock 3.08s
13.61 @ 105.7 w/ 2.22 <-- 284 rwhp / 323 rwtq
TEXSN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 04:44 PM   #3
LX NCH 50
Registered Member

Did your heads change the compression at all? Other then the starting, any other noises while driving, reving, so forth? How much lift do you have? rockers+cam? I agree with the guy above check how tight the rockers are posted down... Are they stock rockers? or roller rockers?
LX NCH 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 06:18 PM   #4
PKRWUD

My first thought was compression as well. Was there a difference in the size of the combustion chamber with the new heads? The valves not being adjusted properly is a good thought too, except that it would work the other way: if the valves were too tight, they wouldn't seal, and you'd have low compression. The car would take a long time to start, but would crank over quickly. If your valves aren't opening enough, it could create the problem you're having. It could also be caused by higher than normal resistance between the relay and the starter. You should do a voltage drop there and see before anything else.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
andy669
Registered Member

Wheres your ignition timing set at?? Being too far advanced would give the same effect.
just a thought
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 01:13 AM   #6
moosejaw
Registered Member

I agree with PKRWUD. Check the cables. High resistance connections will drop voltage and the speed of the starter is proportional to voltage. Lower voltage= lower cranking speed.

Check those block grounds closely. especially the one on the timing cover. Add another ground cable if in doubt.

There is another possibility if you changed your cam. A large duration cam will require less starting fuel. Big duration draws less vacuum during start. Less vacuum means less airflow. Less airflow means less fuel required to ignite. The stock computer is preset on start fuel for the stock cam and 19# injectors. To test this simply press on the gas pedal while cranking to see if it will start faster.

Mike

------------------
Live near St.Louis?
Check out Mustang Muscle and Dyno in High Ridge, MO
Check out my ride.
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote