MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-14-2002, 10:24 AM   #1
Tom S.
Registered Member

Default harmonic balancer installation

I had to get to a timing chain for a replacement and now I'm almost finished. Does anyone have any pointers on installing this back on? No parts stores in town have the installer tool, only the puller. I tried tapping it on, then using the screw & ring that came off, but I wound up stripping the screw badly, and the balancer was about 1/4" out too far. Any advice?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Did you cross-thread the bolt when installing it? When I changed mine, it went right back on w/ no problems. Did you get a stock replacemant or an aftermarket? There is a groove in the balancer that you hav e to line up with a "key pin" on the crankshaft. I'm not sure what effect tapping it on has, but I was told to never tap it back on. It should go on with ease. Just out of curiosity, how did you get it off without the puller?
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

Yeah, you should have been able to tap it on far enough that the bolt and washer would press it the rest of the way onto the crank as you tightened it. Just have to make sure the notch on the balancer is lined up with the key thing on the crank, the balancer only goes on one way. Make sure you have it lined up right and it should go on easy.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
Tom S.
Registered Member

Yeah, I cross-threaded the bolt badly -- the end is silver and smaller in diameter than the rest of the bolt. The crankshaft is fine, however. Next time I'll clean everything out so it goes in smoothly.

I lubed up the crank end and balancer opening, and tapped it on, with the keyed end in correctly. The bolt just isn't long enough to reach the crank opening. I guess I'll tap it on some more and let the washer do the pushing, but I don't like banging on things

This is actually on an '83 3.8L, but I know the installation procedures are the same as the 5.0. The stripped bolt was original -- I snagged a bolt off a '97 Mustang 3.8, which is the same size.

I'll try again but i think the installer tool will be necessary soon.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:36 PM   #5
PKRWUD

You should never tap it on, and you should never try to use the original bolt to install it. You are lucky the crank threads didn't strip. Wnat you need to do is go to Home Depot (or any large hardware store) with your original bolt, and buy one that is two inches longer, a nut for it, and a large washer. Set the balancer on the crank, thread the nut all the way up the bolt, slip on the washer, and thread the bolt into the crank as far as you can. Start the nut and washer down the bolt until it becomes tight against the balancer. Then, while holding the bolt with one wrench, tighten the nut with another wrench. This will install the balancer safely.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote