MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2001, 08:21 AM   #1
88GT5.013.02

Post Has anyone put turbo(s) on an 87-93 mustang?

I want to go with a turbo set-up, but don't know where to turn. I was wondering if anyone has had good luck with a certain turbo kit manufacturer. I was possibly thinking twin turbos. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, GT-40 iron heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft
Old 09-21-2001, 11:37 AM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

88GT,

There are a couple of guys on this board and a few more on the Corral running Incon Twin Turbo setups. I looked pretty closely at them a while back when I was thinking of TT, and they have a good reputation and a good product.

The Incon kit comes complete with everything you need including injectors, fuel pump, tubos, brackets, intercooler, and even spark plug wires. You're probably going to have to pull the motor for the install because you have to notch a panel in the engine compartment, but that's no biggie.

Bob Cosby ran Incons on his daily driver mustang notch with just a few bolt-ons and engine mods. Here's a quote from his page:

"Last summer I installed one of the awesome INCON Twin Turbo kits. This is a very well thought-out and complete Street Turbo Kit. I did nearly the entire project by myself, in my garage, with no special tools. The full story is here. It is perfectly streetable, and saw about about 300 miles per week, including an 11 day, 4000 mile plus trip to race at the World Ford Challenge, Texas, and more - pulling a trailer!. How did it run? Last September, on a warm and muggy night at Va Motorsports park, it turned 11.00 @ 124.17 mph. Stock ported heads/intake, driven to and from the track. Not bad! With some better heads and intake, along with a bullet-proof AOD, it ran 10.92 @ 126 mph on ET Streets and through the mufflers. That was with a very lazy 1.68 60 ft."

Oh, and he averaged around 24mpg on the highway.

Here's his page:
http://members.home.net/bobcosby/stang/

TDC (Turbo Driven Concepts) makes some other kits...and I know there are a couple of other manufacturers out there but they escape me for now.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site

[This message has been edited by silver_pilate (edited 09-21-2001).]
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 12:35 PM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

Incon seems to be slowly going the way of the Dodo. There kits are good and well thought out, but many people dislike cutting up their cars and nearly inaccessible spark plugs (and their past problems of the turbos in the base kits spinning their all by about 450hp...this may have been changed though). They're a spin off of the now-defunct DDMI kits which did great as far as getting the turbo idea out there for Mustangs, but their kits were a little too complete (taking 7 large shipping boxes) and too expensive. The other Mustang TT maker is Turbo Driven Concepts (or TDC). Good kits and without the hassle of cutting up your car. Still very expensive. Cartech is a great maker if you want a single turbo (and let's face it, that's really all you need cuz you can only fit so much boost and air flow through that stock intake tube). Their kits are pretty complete and still priced along with some of the centifugal blowers. Same goes for Turbo Technologies Inc. (or TTI). Sinlge turbo systems with the same attributes as the Cartech kits...although many people I've takled to say the Cartech kits are better in a few respects. So for now those are your four choices without going to a custom designed or junkyard kit. IMHO all your really need is a good sized single turbo. They can spool up in just about any rpm band and can keep pulling up high. TT kits are such a pain to work around and VERY expensive. They're also much more labor intensive in a job that's already a tall order. Hope that helps.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s

So I pushed it up to 110,
That flathead motor was about to give in,
I crossed my fingers and prayed to the lord,
Don't let me down you fuct up ford!"

"5-Oh Ford" by The Reverend Horton Heat
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 12:54 PM   #4
bada$$lx

Cool

I've looked into both turbos and s/c's. IMO - you're better off going w/ a nice s/c set up. Turbos are awesome, don't get me wrong, but they're too expensive, too high maintenance, and too tempermental. I don't think they're worth the trouble.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 09-21-2001, 03:06 PM   #5
exgmguy
Registered Member

www.detroitspeedworks.com

Greg had the Incon's on hix LX, and now he has a Turbo-Tech single kit. He knoes a lot and works right around the corner from ya.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
11.8 @ 123 (7/14/01)
11.5 @ 120 (9/14/01)
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer

See my car at: www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?179

exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 04:00 PM   #6
BilLster
Registered Member

expensise i have about $450.00 into my twin turbo set up

i copied Mike http://www.geocities.com/toohighpsi/index.htm

the fittings cost me the most waited for a sale for the turbo's my engine was $69.99
on sale had the heads made the intake from a 351 truck but im still using my ford computer and electronics

------------------
89 with 395 single stage n2o .garret t3. 373's Suspention worked out finnaly . need cage .
BilLster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
88GT5.013.02

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into it.

Jason
Old 09-23-2001, 02:18 PM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Go over to the Corral and read some of the Turbo vs. Supercharger posts. Alot of the guys with superchargers say if they had it to do over again they would go turbo. That has to tell you something. I bought my car with the kit (Turbo Tech) already installed on it so I can't speak on how hard the installation would be, but I will say I love it.
91GTturbo is offline   Reply With Quote