MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2001, 02:32 PM   #1
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Post Having small problem replacing fuel filter.

I unpluged the power suply to the inertia switch so i could release the preasure in the lines. Went to start the car to drain the fuel in the lines and the car won't turn over with the power cut. How am i supposwed to drain the lines with the power to the switch on? I thought it was supposed to be off. Any ideas? Thanks

Light Em Up!!

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 04:44 PM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

i had the same thing, i started car then unplugged it and it ran a few seconds then stalled, might want to make sure your tank is just about empty too.

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's Sub's and K&N.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 05:06 PM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

That is odd mine runs with it off... I would do Like lx mike said to do.
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:01 AM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Are you saying that it didn't crank with it disconnected? That's odd if true. It should at least try to start.

Stang Runner, are you saying that your car will run with the inertia switch disconnected? That's bad if true.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:16 AM   #5
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I am not understanding what you guys are saying here. Are you just replacing the fuel filter?? If so, all you have to do is undo the clips and pull off the hose's. The fuel in the lines will run out, there isnt much in them really.

lxmike--Why do u say to make sure the tanks about empty?? It wont drain the fuel from the tank.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:42 AM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

Smokedawg, people with stock fuel pressure regulators have to bleed the pressure off so that they don't get sprayed with fuel. Our fuel pressure regulators pretty much don't hold pressure (At least mine doesn't) so it isn't a concern. I don't get the comment about the fuel tank being near empty, either.

Another way for them to do it is to just relieve the pressure via the Schraeder valve. Pull the cap off and push the button allowing it to drain into a clean container.

------------------
Old 07-23-2001, 10:44 AM   #7
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I replaced my filter yesterday, didn't turn anything off. Just unscrewed the gas cap(suggestion from someone I know). There was maybe a cup full of fuel that came out of the lines and I had a pan with me to catch it. When I started the car I turned the car on and off 3-4 times(didn't turn engine on, just accessories) to make sure the fuel filled in the lines.

Scott

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:53 AM   #8
stanglx347

Talking

Yeah, I just unhook the clips that hold the line and pull off the lines from the Filter. Never had any fuel "Spray" on me.

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2001, 04:35 PM   #9
the bandit
Registered Member

yea smokey's got the idea, just take off the fuel cap to relieve the pressure, and if you want to go further just disconnect the fuel pump and start it a couple of times to get rid of most of the fuel, but even then, you are still going to get fuel "spilled" close to you or on you. never had any problems doing it like that.

------------------
14.44 best et with street tires, spinning first and second hard. only 3.73's and steeda lowering springs. more to come when i make some money
the bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 06:26 PM   #10
jimberg
Registered Member

The fuel pressure that exists in the lines is between the fuel pressure regulator and a one-way valve in the fuel pump. Removing the gas cap will not relieve pressure.

------------------
Old 07-23-2001, 07:10 PM   #11
Stang Runner
Registered Member

When I frist got my car I just pulled it Off and I Got gas in my mouth EYES and It was NOT very NICE. I never will do that agian!!!!
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 10:40 AM   #12
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I started the car and then disconnected the switch and let the motor die. Replaced it no problem. Thanks.

Light Em Up!!

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote