MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-08-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
mak375
Registered Member

Default Head Cam combo

If i were getting new heads and a new cam, what would be a good combo to go with what i have already? I may be getting a small shot of NOS (75 at most) or perhaps a blower of some sort in time. The rest of the stuff i have had done is all in my sig, except ive recently had my intake ported and polished.
steeda tri-ax, flowmaster catback, bassani x-pipe w/ high flow cats, MAC headers, ported and polished intake, trick flow twisted wedge heads, e303 cam, rear upper and lower control arms cold air induction w/ k&n air filter subframe connectors, underdrive pullies, MT ET streets, clear corners, chrome cobra r wheels
mak375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:51 AM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

well thats really up 2 u. what kind of power from the heads and intake are you looking for, future? daily driver, nice weather or once a week car? etc, etc.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
mak375
Registered Member

well i take her out to test and tune at the track probably half a dozen times throughout the season, which is a 40-50 mile drive. i usually only drive it in nice weather.

I'm just looking for a combo that
1) works well together
2) wont need replaced in a year or two if i go with a charger or a small shot of NOS
3) will improve my sound and speed.
steeda tri-ax, flowmaster catback, bassani x-pipe w/ high flow cats, MAC headers, ported and polished intake, trick flow twisted wedge heads, e303 cam, rear upper and lower control arms cold air induction w/ k&n air filter subframe connectors, underdrive pullies, MT ET streets, clear corners, chrome cobra r wheels
Old 11-09-2003, 09:18 PM   #4
stang_racer20
Registered Member

i would get a good intake too if i were you because the stock intake will be very restrictive of a good set of heads. its been proven that brand name parts work well together as a combo. for instance a set of edelbrock heads, with an edelbrock intake and such. otherwise its up to you. although trickflow parts seem to respond better to boost than edelbrocks do.
92 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker(Forged Steel Crank/Rods-Balanced, Forged Aluminum Dished Pistons), Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads w/ Stage 3 port/polish, 80mm C&L MAF, FMS 30# Inj., BBK AFPR, Trick Flow Stage 2 Cam, Trick Flow 1.6R Rockers, BBK E.L. Headers, Flowmaster Cat-Back, MAC CAI, FMS Pulleys, Griffin Alum. Radiator, MSD Pro-Billet Distributor; AOD, Dynamic 3300 Lockup Converter, B & M Super Cooler, B&M Ratchet Shifter; 3:73 gears.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stang_racer20
i would get a good intake too if i were you because the stock intake will be very restrictive of a good set of heads. its been proven that brand name parts work well together as a combo. for instance a set of edelbrock heads, with an edelbrock intake and such. otherwise its up to you. although trickflow parts seem to respond better to boost than edelbrocks do.
Hes got a good intake and it is ported. His car is a cobra so it came with a cobra intake.

Edelbrock/Trickflow aluminum heads is what I would go with.

There are a million choices of cams. Just as long as you dont get a radical N/A cam it should work fine with a blower or nitrous.

I would do an ecu upgrade before anything.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
mak375
Registered Member

ecu?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
stang_racer20
Registered Member

a stock cobra intake is not bad. but when you add heads and a cam plus all the extras hes already got, that stock intake will rob airflow, hense power, bigtime. plus if you have plans for NOS or boost the cobra intake will just not do it anymore.

the "ecu" is your computer.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #8
shacar87
Registered Member

I wouldn't get a new chip until last. Most vendors will build your chip to match what modifications you have...therefore you want to build it first, then get the chip. Even if you don't get a custom chip (which if your serious about going fast, I would recommend even though it's more $), you'll do better to do it this way.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Not a chip an ecu. As in get rid of the terrible cobra computer and replace it with an A9L or similar.

A ported Cobra intake should work nicely with some good heads. I ran that same set-up for a while and was not dissapointed.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:15 PM   #10
Simi Stang

Default heads/cam/intake

I run an Edelbrock heads & intake combo and love the performance they deliver. However, if I could do it over again...I'd fork out the extra $300-$400 and get some AFR alum. heads for sure.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:40 PM   #11
mak375
Registered Member

i have looked at getting a new computer before. Arent they very expensive and hard to find? Wont a chip fix the problems the stock cobra computer has?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:16 PM   #12
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Changing the computer cost you about 100-150 bux and is a good upgrade. I have never personaly done the swap so I dont know how hard it is.

But I do believe it is cheaper than a good chip.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:55 AM   #13
Casper5.0
Registered Member

Swapping the computer is expensive because you need a wiring harness because the pins on the plug for the J4J1 (cobra computer) are different from the older a9l computers. The harness is available from PRO-M and is around $600. You can get a chip burned to take care of all of the problems associated with the cobra computer. The J4J1 is actually a better computer than the old A9L it just responds quicker to changes and because of this it doesn't respond well to bigger cams, heads, etc. There are several options on the computer. The EEC tuner works well, it's what I have, it's basically a chip that you can change yourself using a laptop.

I'd look at the AFR heads, you can get a set of the 165 cc heads that would work great with your combo now, even with the stock cobra intake. Sorry this got so long.......

Ryan
94 cobra, steeda tri-ax, bbk longtubes, dr. gas x pipe, eec tuner, ultra flo's, 65 mm tb, underdrives, 75 mm MAF, homemade CAI, steeda #19 cam, Steeda LCA's, 3.73's, subframes

13.7 @ 103.03 before cam and gears
Casper5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:13 PM   #14
mak375
Registered Member

i think i will be fine with my intake, the cobra intake stock is decent, and after its been ported and polished is at least in the same ballpark as an aftermarket one.

As far as the computer goes...that $600-$800 is more like what ive heard, and it seems a bit steep.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:44 PM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

600 bux for a harness is retarded.
IMO,
Old 11-17-2003, 01:10 AM   #16
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Converting backwards from the J4J1 to an A9L wouldn't be easily achieved since the electric fans are driven by the computer also. Look towards a custom chip burnt for your combo, or if you feel like doing a lot of learning and reading, an EEC Tuner or TwEECer.
I would recommend a set of AFR 165cc heads or Twisted Wedges also, the TFS really can't be beat for the money. Both make great power and the AFR's also have a nitrous/blower exhaust port option so that takes away a lot of the TFS advantage with a power adder, if you get this upgrade.
Your ported Cobra intake will flow great and match up nicely to aftermarket heads, and IMHO will NOT limit your power capability at all. It may be limiting on your RPM range, but most street setups rarely spin past 6000 revs.
TFS makes excellent cams to match their heads, which a lot of people I know have been using with the AFR's with good success as well. Comp Cams makes a more aggressive off the shelf cam, but they cost almost as much as a custom cam (which you might consider if you're sure on what you will be doing with the car). My $0.02..

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote