MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
tarmon8r
Registered Member

Default Head Gasket

I am using this copper head gasket
SCE- 036066
Brand: Specialty Component Engineering (SCE)
Product Line: SCE Pro Copper Head Gaskets
Bore (in): 4.060
Gasket Material: Copper
Compressed Thickness (in): .062
Compressed Volume (cc): 13.153
Lock Wire: No
Quantity: Sold as a pair.

Softer than other gaskets for an accurate seal.

Head Gaskets, Copper, 4.060 in. Bore, .062 in. Compressed Thickness, Ford, Small Block/351W, Pair

SCE Pro Copper head gaskets are CNC-fabricated, then annealed for outstanding malleability. The gaskets are rated 10 Rockwell F scale points softer than other gaskets for an accurate seal, and have a tensile strength of 32,000 psi to handle high-horsepower applications. SCE even claims that you can reuse a set up to five times after cleaning them with a common solvent.

This the gasket that I removed from my motor. I know your not supposed to reuse head gaskets, however they are advertising that these can be reused after cleaning with a common solvent. Anyone with practical experience? The block is o-ringed. How about the common solvent? What could I use to clean the head gasket?

I dont want maybes and shoulds, I'm looking for advice from racers and builders who know what they are talking about. Thanks in advance.
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: Head Gasket

Yes, I have reused coppers several times. Common solvent is just that, common solvent. Mineral spirits, laquer thinner, brake cleaner, kerosene, gas, whatever. I do recommend annealing them though. Just take a propane torch and lightly hit them with a low heat. Then when you are done, you will want to coat them. I cant remember what the stuff is, I wanna say its 'Copper Cote', but I could be wrong. I'm sure it will come to me later.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: