MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2001, 12:54 AM   #1
jwboner
Registered Member

Question header mounted crankcase evacuation

Does anyone run a header mounted crankcase evacuation systems on a street-strip car? I've seen the kits in catalogs and seems to me to be better at reducing internal pressure than hooking it up to engine's intake vacuum. Because when you stomp the gas engine vacuum drops really low, when you need it the to be the highest to get a better intake charge. These kits always come to fit on both valve covers, is this necessary or can you just hook it up to one valve cover and run it to one of the headers? The stock PCV only comes out of one cover. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 06:08 AM   #2
agawam
Registered Member

I set one of these systems up on an engine to eliminate the PCV. I used a dodge oil cap several feet of heater hose a diverter valve connected to a pipe and an open breather on the other valve cover for crossflo. the pipe is cut at 45deg angle and welded into the headder collector so the open part is facing rear,this creates a vacume to scavenge the crankcase,the diverter valve(the oneway valve from an AIR system)keeps exhaust from going back to engine.This gives higher manifold vacume if you eliminate the PCV completly.worked good
agawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
302man
Registered Member

Thumbs up

They work good with open exhaust. A friend of mine did it with mufflers on. Didn't work to well. It ended up creating crankcase pressure ! Blew oil out all over the engine. He was running 3" tubes with flowmasters on a 66 mustang, running low tens. Basicly what we had figured out is that there is too much backpressure with mufflers on.

------------------
302,vortech s trim @18-20lbs showing,edelbrock performer heads-o ringed,gt 40 upper&lower, mac 1 5/8"long tubes, sub frame connectors,50/50 rear, 70/30 front, manual rack,3:55 gears, c4 , best time 10.13@135mph
302man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 12:32 AM   #4
jwboner
Registered Member

I was thinking about the backpressure. I don't know what muffler if any that doesn't make too much backpressure that enable to use the kit. I am using 2.5" Delta flow Flowmasters. If I were to use the header mount kit I would put a check valve to keep exhaust from going back up the tube, but if there isn't ever enough vacuum to suck the air out the pipes the whole thing will do nothing as long as the mufflers are making backpressure? What else would clear out crankcase vapors like that without going to a belt-driven vacuum pump? Thanks for the info guys.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote