MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-11-2001, 10:27 AM   #1
matt cook
Registered Member

Default dropping oil pan?

I just got the heads off of my car, and while I was doing the other work, I figured that I may replace the oil pan gasket and oil pump.

Is doing this with the block in the car as hard as it sounds?

Jacking the engine up? Dropping the pump in the pan? etc, or is there an easy(easier) way without pulling it?

thanks
Old 12-11-2001, 11:49 AM   #2
ALS85GT
Registered Member

Talking Oil Pan?

Hi, I just replaced my oil pump for the second time and now consider myself an expert in this field. The first time I did this while the motor was out. The second time while the motor was on. ---All you gotta do is unbolt the motor mounts, radiator(leave it in though), unbolt the trans mount(so the tranny can up and dn) and disconnect the pos cable. Jack up the motor fm the crankshaft(carefully) till the motor is up against the firewall. This will give you several inches but I was still not able to remove the oil pan. This is ok cause I was able to unbolt the pan then remove the oil pump w/the pick up attached. Not an easy task but very do-able. I would also recommend placing some wood blocks between the motor mounts incase the jack slips. Good luck..
85GT 5.0 was CFI converted to Holley 650. Hooker full length headers, FlowMaster 2 chamber. Weiand Stealth manifold. 86 roller motor, crane 1:7:1 alum rocker arms(roller). SSI 220@.050/498 Roller cam. Summit double roller timing chain. Melling oil pump, stock bottom end. Mallory Hi-Fire ignition. Under drive pulleys. Accell coil and Ford Motorsport 9mm wires. 93'8.8 posi. 4:10s. AOD w/B&M shift kit. No figures yet, still working on it. No back seats or AC.
1989 GT Convert-- All stock w/AOD, Air Silencer removed, DynoMax Mufflers.
ALS85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
dkliner
Registered Member

Default Re: dropping oil pan?

My 1989 5.0 is up on ramps right now and has been for two days now. Your second time at it is how it has been suggested to me. Any other tips and/or suggestions?
dkliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: