MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-29-2002, 04:34 PM   #1
frank rymas
Registered Member

Angry MSD 6al

Installed a MSD 6al and an MSD dist. in my 83. When I hooked up the stock tac. to the tac. output from the MSD my tac. reads nothing...... When I hook it to the coil (MSD blaster) the tac. seems ok off idle but at idle it jumps from 650 rpm to 2000rpm. The motor speed does not change with this jump. Any ideas?????
frank rymas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i would check the ground for the tach
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 06:40 PM   #3
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

You might need to get a tach adapter.
RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 02:57 AM   #4
DRASTiK
Registered Member

If I remember correctly (it's been a while), the MSD directions specifically state NOT TO CONNECT A TACH TO THE COIL. That's why they have the tach port on the ignition box itself. I had similar problems when I used my tach on the coil. I could rev my motor to the moon and back and the tach would only read about 2700 RPM, whether I was at 3000 or 6000, it would just stop and stay at 2700. You need to use the tach output port on the box. An adapter for this is the right way to go.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 03:23 AM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

I have my aftermarket tach hooked up to the msd box and my factory tach to the coil. Both work perfectly. I used to have my aftermarket and factory connected to the coil before the MSD box and both worked. I dont think your problem is not being able to use the coil wire for the tach with the MSD box
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
Thad
Registered Member

Do you have an eec computer or are you running a carb with no com. If you have an eec com you don't have to hook the tach up to anything. msd has a direct plug-in harness that allows you to bypass the stock ignition and go to the 6AL without cutting any wires. this also allows the eec to control the tach through the msd without having to directly connect it. the tach isn't entirely accurate but should rev throughout all rpms.
If you have no eec com, running a carb, then you have to connect it to the 6AL unit not the coil. There is a direct tach plug-in on the oppposite side of the power wires. You should have gotten a harnees with the unit. if i'm correct, you also have to run a ballast at the coil.
If you still have problems give MSD a call, (915)857-5200.
90 LX 5.0 ,bored 302, MSD 6AL, Twisted Wedge TrickFlo HDs, World class T5, BBK fender cold air induct., 70mm TB,Edelbrock performer Intake, aluminum Drve shaft, 3.55 Gears, Long Tube Headers to Flowmasters.
Thad is offline   Reply With Quote