MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-22-2001, 03:42 PM   #1
vangogh
Registered Member

Unhappy Help! Car will crank but not start after swap

I just swapped out my oil burning 2.3L and dropped in an '89 5.0L from a Lincoln Town Car into my '89 Mustang. I have the entire EFI harness and brain. Everything seems to have 'connected' up just fine, but when I got to start it, 1. the fuel pump won't start 2. the car won't stay started. I checked the inertia switch and I also jumpered the fuel pump to the +battery lead. If I jumper it, I do get gas flow, and if I keep the ignition key in 'start' mode it runs....obviously I can't do that. I'm wondering if the wiring is wrong. I used my Hayne's manual along with looking at junkyard 5.0L wiring arrangements and everything looks where it should be. The + battery lead on the lower left solenoid post (in reference to the ignition switch connector being on top when facing the solenoid) along with the circuit breaker line and the starter and computer cable on the lower right solenoid post. The problem I see with this, is that the Lincoln Hayne's manual shows this to be entirely opposite from the way I have it wired and I wired it just like it was originally from the junkyard car....and it RAN.

HELP!!!
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 06:05 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i just did a swap and had the same problem..all you gots to do is run a jumper wire from the eec power relay to the turn on power lead going to the fuel pump relay..i did it and it works now..i traced the wiring schematics and the 8 is sopoosed to run the wire to the fule pump relay but the 4 cly does it a diffrent way..just make a wire and connect those 2

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote