View Single Post
Old 06-28-2001, 04:31 PM   #10
PKRWUD

Absolutely! That's why I don't think it's the alternator. If it were bad, the only charging your battery would see would be when it's getting jumped, and that's not long enough to drive very far. Let me make a suggestion; get your hands on a voltmeter. It doesn't matter if it's a gauge type for inside the car, or a hand held multimeter, it just has to read DC volts. Now find a plug and cord for the cigarette lighter. You may have some old item in your garage that had a power cord for plugging in to your lighter that you can use. If not, go to your local auto parts store and pick one up for a buck or two. Now, bare the ends of each wire coming off the plug in adapter, and connect your voltmeter leads to them to see which way the polarity is. When you determine which is pos. and which is neg., attach them to the leads by twisting them around the lead tips and then with electrical tape. You just made a simple but accurate tool for checking the state of your cars electrical system under all conditions. Just plug it in and drive. As long as the gauge is at 13 volts or more, your alternator is charging the battery. If it should fall below 12.6 at ANY TIME that it's running, you are no longer charging, and need to have the system inspected.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet
My site: JimPorterRacing
RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote