MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Evil torquetress
95' gt 5.0

Default Help A Chick Out!!!

I have a 1995 ford mustang gt which has the 5.0l 302. Recently I have been having some problems.....My car feels like its stumbling and just kinda tremles when I give it gas. My smog pumps needs to be replaced it's making noise. I was wondering if that has anything to do with it??? Also when I'm at a stop and floor it it acts like it hesitates and sometimes will back fire. I had my cats taken off so my engine light is constanly on. Well when these problems occur the light goes off. Also when I floor it or take off fast it makes a clicking sound like click click click and stops when I let off. Overall It's running really rough. I was thinking it might be a problem with the fuel system. But I don't know, I was trying to see if anyone had an idea or had any similar problems with their mustang.
Evil torquetress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Help A Chick Out!!!

Im not real knowledgeable on the late-model stuff, so hopefully somebody else will chime in also. When I first started reading, I too was thinking fuel related. Perhaps not enough fuel pressure. Is the clicking only under heavy load, or does it do it in certain RPM's? My thought it that it could be detonating, since it would be starving for fuel. Do you still have your O2 sensors? Without those your computer would probably go into a limp-home mode, causing crappy performance. I read in another thread that Auto Zone will pull your codes for free, so that would probably be a good start. Once you get the codes you can post them up here, the efi guys know whats going on with those. Again, im not the most knowledgable on the late model efi stuff, I own a 65
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

It sounds to me like since you removed the cats you should aslo just remove the smog pump and run a short belt.

The problems with your car sounds like you just need a tune up.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

I second Dark's suggestion about removing the smog pump, if the cats are gone, it has no purpose. The clicking you heard, was it more like a pinging? Could be timing. Do you use regular unleaded all the time or supreme? Maybe try running supreme through it and see how it acts. The tune up would be a good route as well, fuel filter, plugs, all factors that could be culprits for what your describing. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Evil torquetress
95' gt 5.0

Well I just replaced my fuel filter today. I have always done a routine tune-up. My dad said it sounds like spark knock??? I'm going to replace my plugs neways I have shitty bosch. So I don't need my smog pump? How would I know what size belt to put on if I removed it? Yes......When I put higher octane in my car it stops(93). My car has been good to me so far it's still driveable. I got my car 2 years ago and it set for 2 years before I got it so far I've only had to replace my altnator, spark plugs oil......tune up..duh...and my clutch. Other than that I haven't had any problems. Now I have this and it's driving me crazy because I have lost alot of power because of it. Damn grandma might beat me in a race right now.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
USMC302
Registered Member

If the pinging stopped when 93 octane was used then it's 100% a timing issue. Have you recently changed or messed with timing? Grab a timing light, pull out the spout connector and set it at 10 degrees and go from there, test the car after small increments of two degrees.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
tmoss
Registered Member

Get some sea foam and run it through the engine and then add some to the tank. Combustion chamber carbon build up can do that too.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Evil torquetress
95' gt 5.0

Ok..well I will have it checked this weekend and I'll repost and let you guys know if that is it thank you for all your help so far. And also messing with my distributor can that mess up my timing? like I said only things I have done to it is my clutch altnator and took the cap off underneathe my distributor....and tune-up. Also does autozone have db1 and db2 I think my car is db1 to check all my codes so I can post them up?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

Turning the dist, or moving it at all will throw timing off, turning the dist is how you set it in the first place. Autozone should be able to pull the codess from your car fine. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Tape
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil torquetress View Post
I have a 1995 ford mustang gt which has the 5.0l 302. Recently I have been having some problems.....My car feels like its stumbling and just kinda tremles when I give it gas. My smog pumps needs to be replaced it's making noise. I was wondering if that has anything to do with it??? Also when I'm at a stop and floor it it acts like it hesitates and sometimes will back fire. I had my cats taken off so my engine light is constanly on. Well when these problems occur the light goes off. Also when I floor it or take off fast it makes a clicking sound like click click click and stops when I let off. Overall It's running really rough. I was thinking it might be a problem with the fuel system. But I don't know, I was trying to see if anyone had an idea or had any similar problems with their mustang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justicesl View Post
Well I have a 1995 gt 5.0 302 stang and I can't figure out what is wrong with my car?? I'll be driving and it feels like my engine starts stumbling........... it starts up rough and when I give it gas it stops. It also makes this knocking sound when I take off really fast kinda like click click click.......also it acts like it hesitates when I take off fast...................WTF....If anyone thinks they have an idea what it is or has had some similar problems please post a reply.....
is this you ?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
collinjay71
NOS Pony

If you messed with the distributor you most likely advanced the timing and thats causing your knock. I would run the 93 octane until you get it fixed. As far as the smog pump you can get an eliminator kit for pretty cheap on summit racing.

summitracing.com
collinjay71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
sykostanger
syko

I agree with USMC302, its no doubt the timing.
sykostanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #13
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hmm... This is a bit of an odd problem in my book. It sounds to me like you might have a couple different issues, but if it was working before and you did something to it, it's usually whatever you did to it that's causing the problem now.

It sounds to me like you just changed the distributor cap and rotor, but you didn't intentionally move the distributor itself. Even so, some times people that do mess with the timing don't tighten the distributor bolt down well enough, and that could be your issue.

Just for the record, a 1995 Mustang GT runs an OBD-I emissions system, not the newer 1996+ OBD-II style.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote