MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-09-2001, 06:48 PM   #1
Radon
Registered Member

Angry Starter refused to dissengage, battery dead.

I was about to leave Canadian Tire (Auto Parts/Repairs) after picking up some tools, and my starter kicked in and wouldn't stop, even without the keys. I tried desparetely to disconnect the battery, but..

1) Didn't have the right tools
2) The corrosion was bad
3) It was *******' cold outside.

So after running inside asking for a hand, and returning... it had stopped. I'm assuming the battery is dead (It seemed to die too quickly though)...

Why did this happen, and what possibly needs replacing.

Car is an '87. I should also mention that I have a remote starter, although it hasn't been used in quite some time, and was in the off position.

Thanks.
Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 10:52 PM   #2
93CobraR
Registered Member

The starter silioniod(sp) stuck open. Go to your local parts store and get a new one for about $3 and replace it and your set. That happen to me in the garage and luckly I hade a 1/2" wrench setting there to go and get the cable off.

------------------
87 GT, 4 inch cowl hood,17x9 Cobra R's/255/45's,GT-40 heads,long tubes headers,h-pipe,Flows,BBK cold air, Mass air,70mm MAF, 1.7's, 1" spacer,underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0, King Cobra, Adj. fuel Reg., Lakewood Lift Bars,50/50's,subframes, 4.10's.
Best time 13.012
Best MPH 104
Best 60' 1.816

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_2000/MyPage.html

93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 12:23 AM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

BTW the starter solenoid is on the drivers side fender right behind the battery by the coil. when it does that next time, usually if you hit it, it will stop... Good luck man!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:23 AM   #4
Radon
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Thanks guys, much appreicated. Confirmed what I've heard from others.

I should have thought to hit it, as I now remember to hit it when it DOESN'T turn over.
Old 02-10-2001, 12:46 PM   #5
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

It happened to me too...get a spare one.
It broke on me about 6 months after i replaced the first time.
Borg-warner too.

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 02:14 PM   #6
Radon
Registered Member

Angry

Okay. Still nothing. Replaced the solenoid, boosted the car and... It didn't turn over, BUT, somewhere around the solenoid it did make a loud grinding/clicking/turning kinda noise. Talked to the guys at the garage, they advised that I should return the solenoid for another. After reinstalling the second unit, and once again boosting... the same noise started once more, and then stopped. Now it only clicks "on/off" with turns of the key.. Apparently there was a bit of smoke.

For the love of all things, what the hell is wrong with my car?
Old 02-10-2001, 02:23 PM   #7
stangsrule
Registered Member

When it happened to my car it actually melted down the starter. Maybe your's is gone to and that is now taking out the solenoid... Worth looking into. Good luck!

------------------
92GT all the free stuff and a few bolt-ons, lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, etc.
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 09:48 PM   #8
93CobraR
Registered Member

Sounds like you either hooked up the thing wrong or the battery is dead....
Old 02-11-2001, 12:51 AM   #9
joe4speed

If you let your starter run until your bettery died, it may have fried the piece of crap ford starter... take the starter out and bring it to a local parts store and have them check it... they'll do it for free. The car should be at least spinning the starter when it's boosted... Just a thought! Good luck!
Joe
Old 02-11-2001, 12:55 AM   #10
Radon
Registered Member

Exclamation

It did sound like I hooked the solenoid up incorrectly, but it's pretty much fool-proof. I'm going to assume that the starter is garbage, thus blowing the new solenoids.
Old 02-11-2001, 04:46 PM   #11
Radon
Registered Member

Angry

Took out the starter, and had them test it. It worked, barely...and they replaced it for free.

Installed the "new" starter, hooked up the booster cables, and... Click Click with a turn of the key. Hmm, better replace that solenoid again, and so I did.

And with a swift turn of the key, that familiar sound emitted from the engine bay. No, it wasn't the car turning over and actually starting... it was that sweet sound of something I've never heard until I started swapping solenoids. It's a very unnatural sound..something to the effect of....

The only way I can describe it, is that it sounds like something is turning (Not the starter, and not near the starter)... It's a loud, clicking, turning, slightly grinding kinda noise. Difficult to describe anyway.

I need help, as Canadian Tire is probably getting suspicious of that white mustang sitting over-night TWICE in the parking lot, and that guy who keeps returning solenoids and starters.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2001, 05:10 PM   #12
93CobraR
Registered Member

Once agian the battery is probably dead, thats why your only getting the clicking noise which is the bendix kicking over but theres not enough juice to turn over the motor. Did you try jumping it yet?

[This message has been edited by 93CobraR (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 05:32 PM   #13
Radon
Registered Member

The battery is definately dead, dead dead dead. That's why I've mentioned several times in several posts that I've boosted it. Perhaps I should try another vehical to boost from.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to look very carefully at the wires leading to and from the starter, battery, and solenoid.
Old 02-11-2001, 08:37 PM   #14
john_86stang
Registered Member

Exclamation

In my experience, your battery could be so gone it can't even be boosted.(if it has a open cell) I would try and put a diferent battery in it. The clicking sound indicates low voltage from the battery. Good luck let us know!

------------------
John Welch
86 GT, 3.73's, H-pipe, No smog pump, pulleys, K&N, and still going.
john_86stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 01:54 AM   #15
Radon
Registered Member

Talking

Success!!

Boosted from my buddies truck (Old chev pick-up), instead of what I was boosting from earlier (98 jeep cherokee)... and it reluctantly turned over and started. I ran around, and yelled for a bit in the parking lot.

I let it idle for at least 45 minutes while I went into a restaurant.. Came out, attempted to drive home, and it stalled when I put on the heat, headlights, and turn signal... So obviously the battery is done. Boosted once more, and made it home.

Thanks for you help everybody, all I have to do now is pick up a decent battery.
Old 02-12-2001, 03:52 AM   #16
joe4speed

Thumbs up

Oh man, Congrats! I know how it is... when I had my old stock alternator, I was goin through batteries laft and right, so I got a 130 amp and all is well now!!! I would just push start mine when it died lol!!! Good luck!!!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!